Subject: Royal Turf Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wanted a copy of Royal Turf, but was only able to get Winner's Circle. While Winner's Circle has a "Royal Turf" variant wherein the "main power" of each horse varies from 1 to 7, we go even farther in our group.

Specifically, we hate how Winner's Circle has you always start the horses in same order by color. Instead, as we draw horse cards, we put the horses in whatever order they come up in. (IE, if the first card has a "horse head value" of 7, the black horse is placed first in the lineup, and so on.)

We realize it's a purely cosmetic change, but it adds to the fun for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Fortin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheKeck wrote:
We realize it's a purely cosmetic change...

Is it really? Doesn't it do a difference wether a horse starts first or last? I asked myself this question when I first played Winner's Circle a few weeks ago (I too had played Royal Turf before).

I'm sure you know that you could always try the "crowded field" official variant. I like the idea of every horse starting at the same space but don't like the fact that they can also share a space along the field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fortinm wrote:
TheKeck wrote:
We realize it's a purely cosmetic change...

Is it really? Doesn't it do a difference wether a horse starts first or last? I asked myself this question when I first played Winner's Circle a few weeks ago (I too had played Royal Turf before).

I'm sure you know that you could always try the "crowded field" official variant. I like the idea of every horse starting at the same space but don't like the fact that they can also share a space along the field.

Well, it's a purely cosmetic change in that you could let any horse have any stats. While the "white horse" will always be first, that horse can be any of the 28 named horses in the game.

I did notice the crowded field variant, and it does look interesting to me. I'd give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieran Quinn
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
Do your cards have colours on them or something because I don't see how you're matching the coloured horses according to the cards that come up. I have the 36 space version with thick horse cards that all look the same except for different names and stats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.