Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Sandberg
United States
kentwood
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many characters have the phrase "when ______ attacks" such as Falcon recon, Storm goddess of the plains and Angel inspiring to name a few where as Cyclops if looks could kill has the phrase "When ________ is assigned to attack". My understanding of the nuanced difference between the two is that a character attacks only when they attack with hit point damage assigned, negated or deflected, or the character is blocked. Thus, if someone payed to use a global ability to remove an attacker from the attack zone they did not "attack" but had merely been assigned to attack and were prevented from attacking by the global ability. Thus in the case of Falcon recon which states (when falcon attacks, your sidekicks can't be blocked" If falcon is removed from the attack zone by a global ability he did not attack thus the sidekicks can be block. In the same way if storm is removed from the attack field the opponent would not have to re-roll all their character die. However, in the case of cyclops if looks could kill regardless of whether he is removed from the attack zone his ability to "attack each opposing character before blockers are assigned" proceeds because the action of him being assigned to attack occurs before a global ability could be used to remove him from the attack zone. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
took2long wrote:
Many characters have the phrase "when ______ attacks" such as Falcon recon, Storm goddess of the plains and Angel inspiring to name a few where as Cyclops if looks could kill has the phrase "When ________ is assigned to attack".
They are 2 ways of saying the exact same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rizzo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Even if that were true, you wouldn't be able to use a global to remove attackers until after blockers have been assigned at which point removing them is largely moot. In the case of Falcon, you attack with him and sidekicks. He triggers, during the assign attackers step, so that the sidekicks can't get blocked. Then it's the assign blockers step, where you can't block the sidekicks. Then you could remove Falcon from combat but it was too late to assign blockers to the sidekicks.

As for Cyclops, you assign attackers. Then his ability triggers, dealing damage to everyone. This is the same time when Tsarina's damage would happen. Then those still standing can be assigned as blockers. And again, globals can be used, though if they did their job right, stopping him won't be enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsarina is when attacks, but it's resolved before blockers, right? So it's all the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanking wrote:
Tsarina is when attacks, but it's resolved before blockers, right? So it's all the same?
Yup, you got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sandberg
United States
kentwood
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. What I missed was the fact that global abilities could only be used in the attack phase after attackers and Blockers had been assigned. I was under the mistaken impression that global abilities could be used as an "interrupt" at any point in the game causing my confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it says use globals at aytime but there are actually very specific times you have the chance to use them. I know it says "when appropriate" but with all the timing issues in this game that becomes confusing.

Just played 4 more games....hulk is unstoppable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
took2long wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. What I missed was the fact that global abilities could only be used in the attack phase after attackers and Blockers had been assigned. I was under the mistaken impression that global abilities could be used as an "interrupt" at any point in the game causing my confusion.
Global abilities can also be used in the main phase, not only after blockers are declared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Zamora
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LordSpiral wrote:
In the case of Falcon, you attack with him and sidekicks. He triggers, during the assign attackers step, so that the sidekicks can't get blocked. Then it's the assign blockers step, where you can't block the sidekicks. Then you could remove Falcon from combat but it was too late to assign blockers to the sidekicks.

This answer, its official?

Can´t you block the sidekicks after remove Falcon from the attack zone (Global of Distraction)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. The sequence is assign attackers then assign blockers then use globals. By the time you can use the global, it is too late to assign blockers to the sidekicks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar to Tsarina's "when attacks" 2 point damage, as another example of removing from the field not stopping effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the above is as official as it gets, because it's the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.