Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DOYLE IS GOD

Anyone else notice that Mike Doyle is God in terms of graphic design??!

http://mdoyle.blogspot.com/

Go, now, all of you, and spray-paint it on the outside of every FLGS, on the side of every German wood-working workshop, on every plastics factory in China, on the sides of the Hasbro main offices in Rhode Island....

Doyle is God!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While his designs are pretty much superior to those he is "replacing", I find that he sometimes fails to capture the essense of the game inside the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've seen you say that before...care to elaborate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree here. The guy is talented but I don't think the artwork adds anything to the games. The box covers that he's done have been good for the most part. But I feel the actual game components could make the games more difficult to play.

Does anyone else feel that his designs for E&T and Samurai are way too dark?

Just my opinion, and I am looking forward to seeing what he does with Big City.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What? Doyle re-made the Dune map? AMAZING. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
While his designs are pretty much superior to those he is "replacing", I find that he sometimes fails to capture the essense of the game inside the box.

Aw, shucks, now you gonna rain on my parade???!?!!!
LOL.

Yeah, he's not perfect... and in my opinion, his Caylus box rocks, but his Caylus map kinda confused me when I looked at it....

But it's a lot more fun to call him "God" then to call him "Way, way better than most of the competition at capturing the essence of a game's feel in the artwork" and "also better at information design than most of the other game artists"....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Well, just like Clapton needing more cowbell, much of his work tends to be too dark and needs more contrast. This may just be a problem of how his work translates to the PC screen.

I will say that I am impressed with the retro look of the Caylus board that he [re]did thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
solove wrote:
I have to agree here. The guy is talented but I don't think the artwork adds anything to the games. The box covers that he's done have been good for the most part. But I feel the actual game components could make the games more difficult to play.

James

I actually throught his Tigress would be much easier to play than the normal version. I like his high contrast colors compared to the watered down ones of late.

I think his art is leaps and bounds above most things out there now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haigh-Hutchinson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
You should also remember that seeing images on the screen (especially components) is *not* the same as when they are printed; very dependent upon the viewers monitor, for example. Plus CMYK is a different colour space than that of monitors, too.
I'm sure Mike takes that into account...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dvonn Yinsh
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LordBobblo, I'm with you. I think Mike's art is amazing. It is far superior to the editions that are published. It not only captures the essence inside the box but enhances it.

E&T's dark, moody mosaic looks great. And Samurai is fantastic too as it effuses a quality of fine oriental silk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think his art can be hit or miss...when its on, its great. The Caylus box and the E&T board are top notch, IMO. But what's up with that Goa cover? It looks like he's holding a furry green bowling ball on his...well, you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hollihan
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:

James

His E&T design, to me, is just beautiful. But, yeah, the Samurai stuff is just *too* -- too dark, too stark, too hard to use. But, if I remember his comments correctly, he was trying for an artistic and stark effect.

I have to admit that his design aesthetic of dark rich hues, simple juxtapositions, adherence to grids, independent elements and use of classical imagery really appeals to me. I am so the audience he's looking to!

That said, I'm also looking forward to what he will do with Big City. It'll be interesting to see where he draws his inspirations for the city buildings and what a fully built-up Doyle City will look like. Lots of stark classical buildings and you get an Albert Speer nightmare; modernist elements and it might be a LeCorbusier dreamscape. Or will it be classical retro?

Like I said, I'm waiting and hoping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zx80 wrote:
You should also remember that seeing images on the screen (especially components) is *not* the same as when they are printed; very dependent upon the viewers monitor, for example. Plus CMYK is a different colour space than that of monitors, too.
I'm sure Mike takes that into account...

Another way to look at this difference: When you look into a monitor, you are looking into a light source. The pixels themselves emit light in different colors. When looking at a printed piece, however, the colors are created from reflected light interacting with the inks and surface texture. And different light sources can subtly or dramatically influence the colors you see reflected from a printed piece.

This is why even dark colors on a monitor (even when the brightness is turned low) are often brighter than the colors you see reflected from objects near it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.