G Allen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on this idea (and half-working system) for a solitaire worker placement game with a loose game objective of developing and maintaining Societies that have unique effects on the resource engine to make the qualitative differences of developed societies emphasized more the quantitatively generating as many societies/colonies as you can. But I didn't have a counter-mechanic, no AI-type of element, to make it seem right. And another asteroid track might drive me crazy.

Usually, er, most often in the past, I tend to have the theme in mind and work with that when coming up with the mechanic. This time, it's mostly backwards and I'm having trouble coming up with a theme that's less-Civilization than it was and less "terraform-a-planet" that it's leaning towards now.

Currently, you start with 3 workers; I once had a Landing Bay where you could "welcome" another Worker and increase the the worker pool but I'm pressing pause on that right now.

Each worker can be moved to any Station once. Depending on where a worker is placed, resources (Productivity, Authority, Knowledge) are generated. Teamwork can only be generated by placing workers at three or more locations (each has a T symbol but you need a worker at at least three stations to get 1). Knowledge requires Teamwork and two workers at the same Station (taking away the opportunity of getting Teamwork on the same turn as having to spend it), while Authority requires 1 Knowledge and 1 Teamwork with one worker.

And with my wishy-washy theme, as these resources accumulate, a player builds an O2 factory, CO2 factory and a Life Support factory that all contribute to stabilizing the planet's atmosphere levels enough to build Societies that disrupt the resource engine, though contribute to the resource pool. For example, one Shelter without a functioning O2 factory will be -Productivity overall for a turn, or even cap a resource limit. How these levels fluctuate against the player is something I'm still working on...
[exit WIP bit]

Regardless, I really like the mechanic and want to pursue balancing it out and making it work, but this terraforming dribble isn't what I had in mind when I started and I'm not sure I want it to be a[nother] board game version of the Mars Trilogy. What I really need is a good counterpoint to my backstory, that's usually helped. But until that hits me, I'm quite curious of two things:

1: Anyone out there who would play a solitaire worker placement game, without dice or cards (I just self-published Space Coffee and Mothership; I'd like to shy away from dice for a moment)? How big is this demographic? Hello..ello..llo?

And, primarily:

2: What kind of world would your solitaire worker placement game take place in? Forget everything I said about terraforming. You've got workers. What universe would they get placed in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1: Yes.

2: A forest world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1, Done it, I played Cacasone solo to learn the rules, it was actually a rather fun exercise. So much I did indeed start doing it for fun.

A city (see above).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Absolutely yes

2. (Seemingly) deserted island. Kind of like a LOST situation where you are directing all the survivors of the crash to help put things together in a livable situation and also trying to discover new parts or mysteries of the island. (I haven't played Robinson Crusoe yet, so no idea if this is that exact thing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
panchocarnie wrote:
2: What kind of world would your solitaire worker placement game take place in? Forget everything I said about terraforming. You've got workers. What universe would they get placed in?

The Paratime universe of H. Piper Beam! See a timeline discovers the secret of sideways travel through time to other Earths, which is fortunate because they'ed just about exhausted their resources. Now they have all of these alternate Earths to exploit, secretly. The Paratime secret must be preserved, so, timecops make sure that happens and fix any issues. The further across these dimensions they cross, the more chance of accidentally picking up a rider. So, workers in any timeline are limited, in order to keep a low profile. You might posit that farther timelines are more productive or have better resources. But all that traveling comes with the risk of riders, which needs some solution.

I could see that making for a cool worker placement game. I'm not sure what the exact disposition of the Intellectual Property of Beam's estate is. Call it dimensional travel instead of paratime and you are probably good to go, but it would be cool if the word paratime could be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Absolutely!

2. Freaking SPACE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
A mining colony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.