3 Posts

Trains» Forums » Variants

Subject: Playing with more trains in 2 player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
In disguise.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the regular amount of 20 rails each, it's possible for each side to never cross paths, because the map needs only about 40 rails to connect all cities and towns. I think playing with about 30 rails (I use Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries trains) will make players interact sooner or later, without having to force starting positions, cover part of the map, or get Trains: Rising Sun maps.

I haven't tried this yet, and would appreciate feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is true that on the big maps (tokyo, osaka) 2 players can play without ever having to duke it out.

The problem with adding more tokens is that you will probably trigger the game-end by depleting 4 stacks and therefore not actually change much. the biggest tool a player has to combat a big-money type strategy is to finish off his rails quickly, scoring points before the deck-builder strategy kicks in. by adding more rails it will make that a lot harder to do.
I would strongly suggest you try the 2-player maps, the GenCon 2014 maps are available for free on the AEG website, they have really made the 2p games work.

If you are determined to play on the large map, have both players start on the same half of the map it will force more interaction. Although it goes against the manual we often start on the same exact spot, really forcing us to consider each other.

good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Dale
United States
Greenville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a two-player game this weekend and afterwards was brainstorming a variant to make the board a bit tighter. I haven't tried this yet, but I think it might be viable:

Quote:
During set up: after their first rails are placed, each player gets to place a rail of a color not being used in the game. (For example, if the players are using red and blue, each player can place a white or a yellow.)
Placement is done Catan-style, with the second player to place their initial rail then being first to place the extra rail. The next player must use the color the other player didn't, so that one rail of each of the four colors is on the board at the end of setup.

During play: after any turn during which rails are laid, the active player can place the same number of rails in an unused color for free. The rail(s) must follow placement rules (adjacent to a previous rail, can not be built on the sea). The player may use either unused color; if more than one rail was built, the player may use the same color multiple times or mix 'n' match. The end game is not triggered by an unused color running out.

If I give it a shot I'll report back about how it went. Or, you know, just get a two-player board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.