Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Franz Joseph
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a game that has the following general characteristics:

* Around the years 1600 to 1650, so (approximately) ECW, 30YW, or Dutch Revolt.
* At the strategic level with economic factors to consider.
* Militarily abstracted up - so that we may be dealing with regiments, but I don't want excessive detail at this level. A regiment of foot is a regiment of foot is a regiment of foot.
* No hexes - point to point or region control.
* Original publication language does not trouble me - anything is fine.
* Enough flexibility in the design that you can choose to play it in a reasonable amount of time (that is: a single turn sequence does not have so many individual components that you only get through a couple of turns in a night).

The overall goal is to allow the game to be played as is, but be also designed so that it could be used as a campaign rules set, with the battles being settled with miniatures games.

Basically, I guess (rules considerations aside), what I'm looking for is a modernised Kingmaker set in this period.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might have a look at Francis Tresham's Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648 to see if it fits your criteria.

http://boardgamegeek.com/game/9215

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
revolution the dutch revolt meets many many of the criteria BUT it is a fairly long game with many many phases to each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Goudeau
United States
Moody
Alabama
flag msg tools
Laissez les bons temps rouler
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had my eye on - and preordered Unhappy King Charles from Gmt Games - check out www.gmtgames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with Revolution is it's more an abstract game than historical simulation. Add to that rules that are as clear as mud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The strategic ECW games that I know of are Clash of Arms "King's War" (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1189) and 3W "Ironsides" (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/14429). King's War is point-to-point, but Ironsides is hexed based. Given that King's War is in print and Ironsides isn't, I'd probably start with the former.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
revolution the dutch revolt meets many many of the criteria BUT it is a fairly long game with many many phases to each turn.

So you're impressed by these features as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.