4 Posts

Caverna: The Cave Farmers» Forums » Strategy

Subject: A good food engine I just thought of. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Driscoll
msg tools
mb
I was playing a game yesterday and always thought that the only real good reason you would want to buy the Peaceful Cave (Change your weapon into food) would be to release all weapons from your dwarves so you could buy the Prayer Chamber (The building which gives 8 points if no dwarves have weapons) and get a bit of food on the side.

I also never really thought the Blacksmith that good. I mean don't get me wrong, I've gotten it a few times but always regretted there after. It's pretty expensive, you can't get it out turn 1, it will net you something like 8 ore max during the game (considering it takes those resources and an action and a space that's not very good), it's just not a very good tile, until I figured out it's true purpose.

Simply put, use the Blacksmith with the Peaceful cave. This is not a game strategy per say, however it is a food engine and it can compliment a few strategies to net you some good points.

How it works is the following:

Let's just assume you have zero ore, this is fine, you don't need more. You would buy both buildings mentioned and using 2 ore you would make a warrior of force 4, you would then take 2 ore as your first reward and then, depending on your strategy, you take 2 other rewards.

For instance, are you doing vegetable/wheat strategy? This works perfectly, take 2 ore and a vegetable and a wheat which nets you 5 food and 3.5 points each time you go.

You are going for animals? Then take the sheep and donkeys to net you 3 points or more (if you have anything that triggers with donkeys).

Looking for those stones for points? Possibly add the stone giving you 1 ore building and get 1 stone 3 ore and 1 pig every time. Netting you 8 food and 1 stone each time.

Got extra ore lying around? Make your warrior level 7 and build something, get ore and maybe 2 points?

I actually never tried this but I can see it being a pretty good strategy and fun to play. There's a few reasons. Firstly for just one action you are getting enough food to feed most of your dwarves all game, so getting extra dwarves should be a priority. Secondly, you are able to use the warrior square without ever using a ruby and at the same time, blocking everyone else from using the warrior square. This will definitely piss some people off.

Enjoy, let me know your feedback if you try it and how many players in your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Austin
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a cool combo! I'll definitely be trying it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Driscoll
msg tools
mb
I tried it and made 121 points using the vege/wheat combo.

A couple things to note is that I had two warriors early. The one that got highest level I never used as food and I only started doing the combo turn 5 I believe as I just didn't need it before then. At the end I was doing 5 ore first expeditions which would give me a lvl 8, so 8 food along with normally a vegetable /2 gold/a building/2 ore. 3 of those 4 choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiberiu Diaconescu
Romania
flag msg tools
How can one take 5 ore expeditions!? With 2 warriors one can take 2*2Ore = 4 Ore. 5Ore could be obtained only if you have Seam and take 1Stone.... but in this case out of 5 possible items to be taken (1 warrior goes into 3 expeditions and the other in 2) = you already consumed 2 actions for ore and 1 for stone... thus remaining 2 items .. how can it be a vegetable/2gold/building ... you could only take 2
PS. Again, that is if you have Seam and take 1Stone... if not... how?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.