Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ira Taraday
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hey quick question.

Was looking at the 2nd basic mission to explore the mine and wondering what happens if you still have unexplored passages but are out of exploration tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any deck of cards or pile of tokens that runs dry, simply reshuffle them and begin drawing from them again as normal.

The Scavenge and Loot decks act somewhat differently in that they don't have discard piles, but in the end they work the same: if you ever don't have enough of them, pass them out as normal, cash in your rewards, return the cards to the deck, then pass out the remaining cards as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure it isn't possible to run out of tokens for that mission. Or, it is highly improbable. As i recall, all the tokens are -1 exits, you do not need to go through gates (so they essentially count as not being there) and any remaining exits get a d6 roll and have a 50% chance of not being present.

You're much more likely to have an extremely short mission, than one that uses up all the tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bludd
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just the Clue tokens that are -1 door. Of the 12 tokens, 4 of them are automatic dead ends (they're either a Clue and one Gate/Door or have a Gate), and 5 of the remaining 8 have only one exit.

The last time I played this mission it went incredibly long and we lost due to the escaping Darkness before we ran out of Exploration Tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clark
msg tools
Don't forget the roll to see if exits are valid. Even when first starting in the mine, half of the exits don't exist. If you're in the third section of the mine, no doors actually exist and every non-passage room is a dead end. It may be possible to run out in that situation, but it's got to be extremely rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Wizuriel wrote:
Hey quick question.

Was looking at the 2nd basic mission to explore the mine and wondering what happens if you still have unexplored passages but are out of exploration tokens?

Unexplored Passages: of course. But running out of Exploration Tokens? In this Mission? With one Core Set that is impossible (and with two Core Sets only a very very tiny theoretical probability).

Yes, Passages should remain unexplored. Exploration Tokens may be placed in Rooms only (Rulebook p. 13; Map Cards). (Passages may be Scavenged, though.)

Each Core Set contains 12 Rooms (4 standard + 8 Set-specific; this does not include the Mine Entrance which should not receive an Exploration Token when starting there). And the boxes contain 12 Exploration Tokens.

In this Mission, there would be a total of 12 Door Icons + 1 Gate Icon. This means theoretically you could run out of Tiles rather than Exploration Tokens: A shortage of 1 Tile would be possible.

But: since you have to roll for every Door/Gate Icon to see if it really is a Door/Gate, you "need" only one higher roll to save you from that. Depending on the actual distribution of the Door/Gate Icons over the three Stages of the Depth Track...
Even with two Core Sets that would in nearly all cases prevent a shortage of Exploration Tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.