7 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Placement and use of siege trains rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Siege engines are a wonderful improvement from the first edition. To recap, they give you +4 attacking strength when on the offensive and also provide +4 strength while supporting a siege on a castle. My friends tend to use them to occupy castles, a costly mistake when the enemy counterattacks. It's difficult to grab a castle with a siege engine and hold it but with proper placement of these towers you can ensure that you won't be losing any of your gains.

They also make for a great counterattack threat for any lord who might be attacking your lands. As the Starks, I like to keep one in Castle Black. The whole time he can sit there and consolidate power... but if you suspect an impending attack, that tower can move to reclaim any one of 6 castles! (This is more effective when you have the raven.) That's provided you have control of your oceans, which as a Stark should be your top priority. Mountains of the moon is a good location for the other, as it can support attacks on the Eyrie and Cracklaw point.

The question I ask you all is where you like to place your siege trains and ensure that they're not lost in a dumb mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Adrian
Canada
Edmonton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I think they only give you +4 if you are attacking or supporting an attack on a Castle or Stronghold (not for every offensive action). Otherwise they are 0.

Otherwise, I agree with you. Many people forget that you can support with your engines instead of directly attacking. This also prevents their auto-destruction on retreat, which can be pretty devastating.

I can't think of a particular location I try to put an engine; it changes with the game. Last game as Lannister, I parked one north of Highgarden and supported an attack from the East. Worked like a charm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Sorry I worded that wrong, yes I meant for offensive actions against a city. I was wondering if you all had played with the fortifications as a way to balance the siege towers. A friend of mine was advocating this, claiming the siege engines were too powerful. Haven't tried it yet but could be interesting. I believe you can use 2 mustering points to build a fortification on strongholds, and it permanently provides +2 strength there, just like your capital's garrison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Adrian
Canada
Edmonton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I think the limit of 2 siege engines and their defensive weakness keeps them in check, but one could argue they are quite powerful.

The fortifications from an expansion in the first addition allowed you to use a consolidate power to place a fortification token. That token reduced attacking knights to strength of 1, but didn't affect engines.

The point of engines is to have a tool to crack a good defense. If you didn't have that kind of power, you'd have everyone just turtle. Engines give you the pry bar to keep the game interesting.

Yes, you might lose something precious, but that keeps the game interesting, does it not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Grafström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ned1 wrote:

The question I ask you all is where you like to place your siege trains and ensure that they're not lost in a dumb mistake.

I like to have a siege engine at Seagard when playing Greyjoy. There should be at least a knight there as well, and support from Ironman's Bay which makes it a less interesting option to attack for the Lannister/Stark player. Feom there it provides support on attacks on both Riverrun and Moat Cailin, and more often than not, your fellow neighbours play a defense order on these castles because they fear a march order on Seagard.

If someone else is holding The Twins, it makes it a less interesting choice though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly the optimal play is to have siege engines supporting an attack, rather than occupying the castle after an attack.
In theory (and occasionally in practice) they can support two such attacks in a single round.
But raid orders can cut their support if you are not careful, which is why sometimes they have to the attack themselves.

Powerful but limited, they are also a great way for Stark to crack the Eyrie early.
Building one is often seen as a declaration of aggressive intent, with consequent attention from the rest of the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Canaan
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree with what's been posted: Ideally you want to support with your SEs, not attack with them directly.

Also, when you're not using them it's best to keep them somewhere far from battle, but with sea access to a lot of castles (both your castles, if you nedd to reclaim them and opposing castles, to pressure them)

Most houses have good areas for that: Winterfell / Castle Black, Pyke and Dragonstone are great, and Sunspear and Oldtown can work too if yu can grab a naval victory.

But for houses with little sea access, where you need to place them near the fray, a good move is to station them in a non castle, non stronghold area, with unraidable support. This can mean Blackwater with support from Stoney Sept, The Boneway with support from the Sea of Dorne and others. This way you keep them close to potential targets while being protected from opposing Sieage Engines. It's very hard to defeat a heavily supported non castle, non stronghold area!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.