Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Happy Designer Appreciation Day!

For one day only (and maybe a few hours, since I'm posting this a bit early), SimplyFun has declared September 30 to be Designer Appreciation
Day.

To celebrate, they are offering 15% off and free shipping on selected game titles by some of the world's best game designers such as Klaus Teuber, Reiner Knizia, Stefan Dorra, Michael Schacht, and more!

To see all the titles on sale, go to:

www.simplyfun.com/designerday/

Orders must be entered by 11:59 pm (Pacific) on September 30, 2006 to get this deal.

This is for US orders only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Villemaire
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: SimplyFun - Designer Appreciation Day
Why US orders only? soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynthia Landon
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've really enjoyed several of these games... especially Zing! It went over very well with my spades-loving family and others. I recommend it highly to those who love trick taking games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the rationale behind making special offers US only (less shipping hassle, simpler logistics for the offering company / website), but it's still disappointing.

Especially for those of us in Canada, where the shipping distances really aren't that much further than the lower 48 to begin with.

pk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Meeple
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mnv_iii wrote:

I have an online business, and I have found that shipping outside the US is very time consuming, especially where customs and package insurance are concerned. Perhaps this is why there is a reluctance to ship outside the US. Its one thing to be a big company and have a department to handle it for you, its another for a small business like me with me as the only employee, and a small profit margin to boot. It was simply a matter of economics. The time involved in preparing everything wasn't worth the profit. Dunno if this is their issue or not, but just a heads up on the issues I've encountered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zippy grey wedge owner
Malaysia
Putrajaya
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn, can't get it over here the other side of the world and it's my birthday too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark smitherson

Wisconsin
msg tools
How about ordering it and shipping to a pal in the US and then have him ship it to you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I read it correctly, the 15% off is for everyone... but the "free" shipping part of the offer is for USA addresses only.

But only 15% off their exclusive regular prices is not very exciting. They are an MLM I believe, and given this appears to be bypassing that (ie. they aren't paying out commissions on these sales), I'm surprised the sale isn't bigger (but then again they have exclusive pricing power so I guess it's as good as anyone will get )
PatK wrote:
I understand the rationale behind making special offers US only (less shipping hassle, simpler logistics for the offering company / website), but it's still disappointing.

Especially for those of us in Canada, where the shipping distances really aren't that much further than the lower 48 to begin with.

pk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we start consistently flagging the US Only stuff in the subject like was done for the Roads & Boats offer recently?

That was a very good idea and stopped all the non US residents (and there are quite a few of us) from getting our hopes up or even just wasting a click. We may not have liked that it did not apply to non-US resisdents but we didn't have a leg to stand on to complain because it was right there up front before we even clicked on the link to find out what it was about.

Personally I find it misleading if a subject line doesn't have a major caveat like that in it and then when I click through and I find that I am excluded from the offer or part of the offer that other people are not excluded from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g. orwell
msg tools
Happy Fool The Geeks Day!

So are BGG and Tanga and Simply Fun officially connected yet?

Doing business with the other farms now? Is everyone allowed to get in on this, or is it only for a select few?

G. Orwell

Animal Farm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
Can we start consistently flagging the US Only stuff in the subject like was done for the Roads & Boats offer recently?

Thanks for doing this kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynthia Landon
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsgottrocks wrote:
mnv_iii wrote:

I have an online business, and I have found that shipping outside the US is very time consuming, especially where customs and package insurance are concerned. Perhaps this is why there is a reluctance to ship outside the US. Its one thing to be a big company and have a department to handle it for you, its another for a small business like me with me as the only employee, and a small profit margin to boot. It was simply a matter of economics. The time involved in preparing everything wasn't worth the profit. Dunno if this is their issue or not, but just a heads up on the issues I've encountered.

I have to say that I also understand. I am very grateful for all of our international MeeplePeople fans, however international orders are absolutely far more time consuming for us. We have made the decision to charge only the exact shipping cost (or as close to it as we can estimate) on all orders - inside or outside of the US. But of course that means lower profit or more work for the same profit - however you want to look at it. That means that it isn't really possible to offer free shipping internationally when I also have to pay someone (in this case myself) to drive to the post office, stand in a long line and wait to pay for one or two international orders. (Domestic shippments can be pre-paid online easily and picked up from us with our other mail)

That being said, I love the fact that we do get international orders - I just hope that people try to understand why sometimes it is not economically possible for small US businesses to offer the same deals such as free shipping to our overseas customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen De Chellis
United States
New Milford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
15% off AND free shipping is akin to a 25% discount on their products.

I'm a SimplyFun sales consultant myself and I'm willing to re-ship orders overseas. If your order is large enough I'll even discount it so the shipping will not double the price of the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
gorwell wrote:
Happy Fool The Geeks Day!

So are BGG and Tanga and Simply Fun officially connected yet?

Doing business with the other farms now? Is everyone allowed to get in on this, or is it only for a select few?

G. Orwell

Animal Farm

Wow, you totally nailed them there! Za-ZING! Seriously, all you have to do is NOT go to SimplyFun, NOT go to Tanga, NOT click on any ads, and you still enjoy every bit of content and features on this site for free. You have a database of games, a forum to discuss them in, a user profile to record, rank and comment on your own games, and one of the best user commununities I've ever encountered online. Grow up, conspiracy boy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least I got to check out BGG today and see my name scrolling across the banner ad. It took several seconds to sink in - did I win something? what's going on here? - then I remembered, oh yeah, THAT Michael Adams.

It was a good few seconds while it lasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Weird though. I placed an order for a couple of games with Simply Fun and yes, the shipping is free. However, they had Massachusetts sales tax added to my order (I am a Mass resident), but it looks like Simply Fun is a Washington-based company. I've never had Mass sales tax charged to me from an out of state online retailer before. Not a big deal because the tax was less than $2, but I just found it a bit strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Wilkinson

Colorado
msg tools
mb
Quote:
At least I got to check out BGG today and see my name scrolling across the banner ad. It took several seconds to sink in - did I win something? what's going on here?

It is a fitting tribute to the 8th ranked chess player in the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What surprised me is the Alan Moon's Walk the Dogs is not included in all of this. Surely he counts as one of the world's greatest designers? At least it looks like you can get it for free shipping if you order something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seppo21 wrote:
What surprised me is the Alan Moon's Walk the Dogs is not included in all of this. Surely he counts as one of the world's greatest designers? At least it looks like you can get it for free shipping if you order something else.

Yes, that was the one I would have ordered since this cute game is really expensive.

But then, if they aren't 'appreciating' game designer Daryl Hannah, well, then there are bound to be a number of notable omissions.

...Sheylon

www.boardgamebabylon.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynthia Landon
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheylon wrote:

Yes, that was the one I would have ordered since this cute game is really expensive.

But then, if they aren't 'appreciating' game designer Daryl Hannah, well, then there are bound to be a number of notable omissions.

...Sheylon

www.boardgamebabylon.com

Haha.

It is too bad - I would have ordered it as well. Oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen De Chellis
United States
New Milford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SwedeLad wrote:
Hmm. Weird though. I placed an order for a couple of games with Simply Fun and yes, the shipping is free. However, they had Massachusetts sales tax added to my order (I am a Mass resident), but it looks like Simply Fun is a Washington-based company. I've never had Mass sales tax charged to me from an out of state online retailer before. Not a big deal because the tax was less than $2, but I just found it a bit strange.

Because they *may* have a single consultant eho lives in MASS they have to charge sales tax.

Any "on-line" store that also has a physical presence in your state has to charge sales tax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, give me a break. Simply Fun isn't happy enough being the "Tupperware" of the gaming industry - now they have to be Hallmark also by inventing "Designer Appreciation Day".

Now, if Rio Grande or Mayfair or Z-Man or any company that I WOULD want a game from was also celebrating this wonderful day, I wouldn't feel so disgusted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct about it being a physical presense, but that does not include indepedent sales people ("consultants"), it would have to be an office or B&M store owned by the parent company. switchboard.com nor superpages.com came up with anything in MA.

Even funnier than charging sales tax and doing what with it who knows, read the story about the guy who works above Simplyfun's HQ and purchased a game from them and picked it up in person, and was charged for delivery... http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/128492

I'm not a big fan of MLM's. I won't buy from Amway, I won't from Simplyfun.
HMTKSteve wrote:
SwedeLad wrote:

Because they *may* have a single consultant eho lives in MASS they have to charge sales tax.

Any "on-line" store that also has a physical presence in your state has to charge sales tax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
cynthialandon wrote:
That being said, I love the fact that we do get international orders - I just hope that people try to understand why sometimes it is not economically possible for small US businesses to offer the same deals such as free shipping to our overseas customers.

I don't think anyone expects free shipping on international orders.

There was nothing on the SimplyFun site to suggest that international customers would get the 15% discount, though. That's what bites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
PatK wrote:

pk

Damned if I know why, but it costs a fortune to ship that shipping distance isn't much further. I sold SimplyFun games a month ago here on BGG and didn't charge tax or shipping (just took that out of my "cut", which made me break about even). I did this for Canadian orders, too, figuring I'd still come out about even.

Wrong-o. I shipped a $17 game to someone that was on sale for $12. So, I took in $12. Had to pay SimplyFun the full $17 (because of a misunderstanding on my part about the special price) and then it cost over $20 to ship that thing across the border. Don't know what it is, but it's just about impossible to ship into Canada for less than twice what it costs to ship domestically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.