Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Kuyvenhoven
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,
One of the most common game complaints I have found is that coins seem meaningless! I've seen games where people finish with 40+ coins and spend 7 on buying items... What can we do with the other 33??!!

I've come up with a simple variant for the use of coins that "I don't think" breaks the game or complicates it in any way.

Coin Healing
Basically, anytime you REST your Guild, you have the option of paying coins to heal your wounded allies.
The cost would be an accumulating system per individual Hero
1 Coin for the first Heart, 2 additional Coins for the second, 3 additional Coins for the third, etc.
So Healing 2 hearts costs 3 Coins, Healing 4 costs 10 Coins.
This would reset each time you REST your Guild.
You have the choice to heal as many as you choose / can afford, and adds a element of strategy if you want to still claim most coins at the end of the scenario.

Please share your thoughts, improvements on this idea!
Or any other ideas that could be a good use for coins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Have you tested it yet?

It looks like a good idea. I agree that we finish and there is 20+ coins and like you said you have a lot left over. It does add some strategy to it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Kuyvenhoven
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Secondary Thought...

The Double Dealing Orc Merchant
This is an Orc Merchant willing to sell you goods, if you can make it worth his while!
At the beginning of each scenario, randomly select 6 items from your current scenario level ( First Scenario - Level 1, etc. ) and set them to the side with out looking at them.
Then roll two attack dice and place the Merchant Token ( you'll need to make one ) onto the corresponding spawn location ( This may exceed the two model limit ).
If your active model is on this location with no enemies, As Your Action, you may look at his Wears and add 1 to your inventory, following normal item replacement rules if necessary. The cost of this item is Double the Written Value but is acquired immediately. This purchase will NOT count towards your end of scenario 3 item limit.
After a player has viewed these cards, even if a purchase was not made, roll the attack dice and move the merchant to a new spawn location.

When a player purchases an item, they also receive a Forfeit Token ( you'll need to make these too ). At the end of the scenario, shuffle all remaining items back into the item deck and deal out cards as normal, however each player holding a Forfeit token receives 1 less card in their starting hand, per token they hold. During Card Selection, that player must Forfeit 1 card draw per token they hold. These Forfeits must be cashed in immediately, starting with the first hand of cards.
For EXAMPLE: If a player had 1 Forfeit Token, they would receive 5 cards at the end of scenario. They would choose one of these 5 cards and hand over their 1 Forfeit Token instead of choosing a second card.

This has not been play tested at all, give me your thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Kuyvenhoven
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scourn1 wrote:
Have you tested it yet?

It looks like a good idea. I agree that we finish and there is 20+ coins and like you said you have a lot left over. It does add some strategy to it

I have play tested Coin Healing once, and it had little effect on game play. My only worry is that it may make select heroes harder to kill, though the player has to REST his guild in order to take advantage of the ability which limits excessive use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I just keep tally of unspent coins. We assume these go on partying in town so we have a new medal - most party monster guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that the original rule is in place to avoid a blowout during a campaign. Winning a scenario gives a slight advantage, not a giant one. This variant would just lead to the rich getting richer, and a snowball effect of leaving other players behind.

Sure, it might seem unsatisfying to have unspent gold lost but the alternative is to give a winning guild even more of an advantage than they already have. If that's apealing to you, go for it. But will the losing guilds really enjoy themselves if they watch a powerhouse player stomp their way across the board?

Healing will affect game balance, leaving poorer teams with more deaths, more debilitating death curses, while the rich player might easily dominate. Definitely can see balance issues, but it's your game. Play it as you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Kuyvenhoven
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
It seems to me that the original rule is in place to avoid a blowout during a campaign. Winning a scenario gives a slight advantage, not a giant one. This variant would just lead to the rich getting richer, and a snowball effect of leaving other players behind.

Sure, it might seem unsatisfying to have unspent gold lost but the alternative is to give a winning guild even more of an advantage than they already have. If that's apealing to you, go for it. But will the losing guilds really enjoy themselves if they watch a powerhouse player stomp their way across the board?

Healing will affect game balance, leaving poorer teams with more deaths, more debilitating death curses, while the rich player might easily dominate. Definitely can see balance issues, but it's your game. Play it as you will.

Hey Alex, Thanks for the Reply
I can understand your point for the "Orc Merchant Variant" rich getting richer could be a potential problem. I came up with a variation on it which could possibly solve this, or limit it.
The Orc wouldn't show up until Scenario 3. He would only have leftover wares from the previous scenario. So in the third mission, he would show up and have access to Level 1 Equipment. This would limit your power by only gaining lower level gear in later game, thus making you less of a super power.
Thoughts?

As for the "Coin Healing Variant" I have to disagree with your prognosis. I really don't see / haven't seen any balance issues here.
You only have the option to heal when Resting your guild, this will cause the healing to be infrequent, as well as players who are healing more frequently will be losing turns in order to do so. You must first have gold in order to do any healing, and other than healing 1-2 hearts, it's really expensive, 3 Hearts = 6 Coins / 4 = 10 etc. You also have to realize how easy it is to One Shot someone in this game. I have had a Full 7 Heart Character get killed in a Single Blow before, so really by healing, you are simple playing the odds. And lastly, I just had a game where I finished with 13 skulls total between my 3 characters. I came out with No Curse, System Shock, Nose Bleed as my final tally. More deaths doesn't necessarily mean you will be crippled in the following scenarios.
Thoughts?

Again, thanks for the reply, brainstorming conversations make for the best variants!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it would be gamebreaking, but I still think it would push toward a runaway leader effect by some measure. Not necessarily a big push, but still, I feel like the standard rules are solid for keeping things interesting and rewarding without overpenalyzing or overrewarding players.

But it's your game. Play it how you like. If it ends up having an adverse effect, then you can always stop using it, and if you're happy with the variants, stick with 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
10 coins for a reroll on PvE enemies die?
Every 10 coins gives a minor boost?
Minor advantage next game for the richest player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CrashGem
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game that already heavily rewards the strong. The only true balancing element being the other players can work together to try and cripple the leader in the next scenario by piling some death tokens on them. If you provide ways to "buy away" all those crippling effects it removes the advantage the other players created by crippling the leader.

Too many extra coins? Who cares. They are adventurers, they spend the excess on ale and wenches.

If you really want something to spend excess money on how about this: record excess money. Every 25 coins allows the player to hire an additional hero for their guild. Now they can swap in a different character mid campaign. Still rewards badass coin collecting, without dramatically affecting gameplay, and allows some variety in what can sometimes be a long campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Kuyvenhoven
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moonstone77 wrote:

If you really want something to spend excess money on how about this: record excess money. Every 25 coins allows the player to hire an additional hero for their guild. Now they can swap in a different character mid campaign. Still rewards badass coin collecting, without dramatically affecting gameplay, and allows some variety in what can sometimes be a long campaign.

Thanks for the comment, I actually really like this idea.
It provides a use for coins, but only swaps existing powers instead of adding new ones.
There would need to be a few rules on how this works.
1 - I think 1 Hero should just be drawn randomly, no choice in the matter
2 - Before each scenario, the play must choose his team of 3 and may not switch out during the scenario. (I think the player should be aloud to know what scenario is being played before he chooses, this would make sense theme wise, knowing where you're going and what you're doing before hand)
3 - Existing Death Curses on a character being swapped out would stay in play and are attached to the new character coming in. (Thematically, the new character his hung over from drinking too much Ale in his spare time)
4 - A character being swapped out, may not be swapped again until the next scenario. (This prevents players from swapping character death curses around as they see fit)
5 - No new equipment would be stored in any way, you would simply swap characters and rearrange existing equipment as you see fit.

Anything I missed that could be an issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osku Odi
msg tools
We used to have huge piles of coin laying around when the scenarious ended, but that started to dimish a bit, after players really started going for the quests, to win the scenarios. Instead of the Bloodfeuds that had been going on for generations. Actually these days some players try to win the scenario quickly to get the 10+ coins or so, which can leave the others down to 0-4 gold, sure the winner can afford almost anything, but the losers wont. A while back we were playing a level 4 scenario, where I ended up with 9 gold, my gf had 6. There other 2 guys playing had 0 and 2... Even though I couldnt affor everything, I still got a nice edge into the next scenario.

Usually the ridiculous amount of coins is players going at each other and not really caring about the quest, I've seen multiple players having 20+ gold and the leader had 30+. But that also included them having 20+ death tokens on eah guild. If you play AQ like Frag...

That swapping a hero before a scenario starts, sounds like a fun idea though. Just not sure if it will actually give a very much bigger edge for the guys with the cash (especially since we always play with random heroes, so there's a good chance someone has a hero they dont know how to use to the fullest potential).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.