Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Sinclair
United States
Shawnee
KS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt, Tom and I finished up a game of Funny Friends with Kelly, and then she had to go to sleep, since she had worked two night shifts recently. I had wanted to try out free copy of GiftTrap before our Party next Friday as part of the Massive Play Weekend and rollout promotion of the game (see http://www.gifttrap.com for more info).

Tom, Matt and I are neighbors, each one house apart, and we have lived in the same area and known each other for about 18-24 months. We frequently play boardgames together with our friends and wives, so we know each other pretty well, I would say.

Well as most people have noted the components are very nice, and the box has a nice presentation. The game box was picked up by many people earlier in the night as they looked at it and asked questions.

The game was very easy to explain to these two experienced Eurogamers. The first round felt a little too easy, as we all scored a lot of points for giving and getting gifts, and Ithought the game would be over in 15 minutes. But then as the game progressed the points swung both ways, as a few bad gifts (given or received) can really tank your score. The flow of the game was quick, and not too confusing with 3 players. We had a great time discussing the choices we gave, and we all really enjoyed the psychology and reverse psychology of the game.

Matt and Tom were really good at receiving gifts and I was a great giver, but for whatever reason they could not read what I would choose in the two games we played. Tom one the first game with me only one place away from winning, but he won the second game with Matt way behind on Giving, and me way behind on Getting.

Often times the results were funny. When Matt gave Tom a gift to 'renovate his house' Tom took mock offense and stated his house is only 6 years old, it is in great shape, why would it need to be renovated, are you implying my house is a piece of junk, etc. It was pretty funny.

The risque gifts were not a problem with our adult group (males in our early 30's), and I don't expect with the groups I will play with that it would ever be a problem.

We had a great time playing, and after finishing the first game in 40 mintues, there was quick agreement on another round, with comments such as "My wife would REALLY like this game." As a party game I would give it a 9, especially with the right crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.