Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am finally learning Haggis and am wrapping my head around the wild card rules. I think I have got them. I'm just posting the following to see if I have those rules right.

Some terms:

Set = one of kind, two of kind, etc.

Sequence = 3 or more sequential cards of the same rank

Set-sequence = 2 or more larger sets (pairs, 3 of a kind, etc.) of consecutive rank sharing the same suits between sets.

Now the trivia:

** The highest possible set = 10s.

There is no way to have a pair of jacks, or a pair of queens, etc., since that would require two face cards and no natural cards, which would be a bomb, not a set of jacks, etc. Ditto with triplets.

** The highest possible sequence = king high.

You could have 10, J, Q, K (or 9, 10, J, Q, K, etc.). The face cards would have natural ranks, not wild (though they are still partially wild because one has to imagine that their suit matches whatever suit the 10 has; in other words, they are wild in suit but not in rank).

** The highest possible set-sequence = jack high.

There are two ways to make this:

First way: 10, 10, J, Q. Here the Q is wild and counts as the second jack.

Second way: 10, J, Q, K. Here the Q and K are wild, counting as a 10 and a jack.

Note that the second way (10, J, Q, K) could be understood as EITHER a king-high sequence OR a jack-high set-sequence OR four 10s. (I suppose that means that in theory there could be some ambiguity as to which combination this is if it were played as a lead, say. However, as far as I can see, in practice it doesn't matter which combination it is understood to be, since each of those combinations is unbeatable.)

Question 1: Do I have all this right? Or are three some misunderstandings in the above claims?

EDIT: Added a second question...

Question 2: The rules say that a face card can count as any card of lower value. So, a jack can't count as a queen or king, and a queen can't count as a king. My question is: When would you be tempted to have a face card count for a higher rank?

If, say, you had two jacks, I could see that you might want to play 10, J, J as a 10-queen sequence, which would be disallowed by the rule just cited. But you don't have two jacks.

Also you might think: I'll play a JQ as a queen pair. It's true that the ruled just cited would disallow this. But this is already disallowed by the rule that says two face cards are a bomb (since face cards can only be wild when played with a natural card).

So my question stands: When might it be advantageous for you to play a jack as a queen, say, if the rules allowed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdunc123 wrote:
So my question stands: When might it be advantageous for you to play a jack as a queen, say, if the rules allowed?

As a singleton when you don't want your opponent to beat it with a queen.

Although I'd play my jack as a king, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, right... D'oh! I should have seen that.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arpad Orfi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I'd play my jack as a king, actually.

I suppose you couldn't do that. A wild card in Haggis can't substitute a card which is higher ranked than itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oarpi wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
I'd play my jack as a king, actually.

I suppose you couldn't do that. A wild card in Haggis can't substitute a card which is higher ranked than itself.

Did you skip the "if the rules allowed" part of the question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.