CHRIS HALVORSON
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi-

I just have a couple questions. Any insight would be nice, for the rulebook is not as good.

1-say I take the work action and I am already working another deal, can I add or change crew and equipment, or do I have to keep the current crew and equipment for the other active deal?

2-If I am working a deal and I acquire more crew or equipment through the buy action can I add those crew and equipment to my current crew to aid in a active deal I am working, or do they stay on ship until finished with active deal?

3-with the fly action if I have a 5 movement can I burn 2, stop and take a buy action, and then burn for the other 3? Assuming I draw keep flying cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested to see the answers here.

1. I play that you have to decide what equipment to place on characters and then meet the needs requirement of the job. However, there is nothing in the rules that limits the number of characters that can undertake a job (in general) and so I tend to use all crew on all jobs.

2. I play that they can be added to the job.

3. Short answer No. It is not clear in the rules, but I think the actions must occur sequentially.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
JK777 wrote:
Interested to see the answers here.

1. I play that you have to decide what equipment to place on characters and then meet the needs requirement of the job. However, there is nothing in the rules that limits the number of characters that can undertake a job (in general) and so I tend to use all crew on all jobs.

2. I play that they can be added to the job.

3. Short answer No. It is not clear in the rules, but I think the actions must occur sequentially.

1. You have to use all characters on a job, unless restricted (i.e. preacher)

2. You are only working a job during the work action, so crew/equipment added by a buy action between work actions can definitely be added to the job.

3. correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Think of each individual action -- Buy, Deal, Work, Fly -- as its own "unit." You can't interrupt it, and things generally apply just to that unit.

So once you begin to Fly, you cannot interrupt it with another action (such as Fly). If you wanted to Fly 2, Buy, they Fly 3, that's three different actions.

The Gear used during a Work Action are assigned at the beginning of the Work Action and apply only for that SPECIFIC Work Action, so if you are Working multiple Jobs, or taking multiple Work actions to complete a single Job, you get to pick what Gear you will use each time you initiate a Work Action.

An aside: There is some discussion on this, but it seems pretty clear to me from the rules that Crew are NOT assigned: unless there is a reason a Crew member cannot work a Job (such as Book or Elder Gommen on a Moral Job, or a wounded Crew sent back to the ship), ALL Crew MUST Work the Job.

Note that you can normally change Gear freely EXCEPT during a Work Action.

So, let's say you've got a Crew with a lot of Gear. During a Fly Action, you first run into a Breakdown card (requiring Tech). You can equip them with Tech-based Gear. Then the next card requires Fight. You can now equip them with guns and such.

During a Work Action, though, you cannot change Gear, regardless of what cards come up, so equip yourself carefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Think of each individual action -- Buy, Deal, Work, Fly -- as its own "unit." You can't interrupt it, and things generally apply just to that unit.

So once you begin to Fly, you cannot interrupt it with another action (such as Fly). If you wanted to Fly 2, Buy, they Fly 3, that's three different actions.

The Gear used during a Work Action are assigned at the beginning of the Work Action and apply only for that SPECIFIC Work Action, so if you are Working multiple Jobs, or taking multiple Work actions to complete a single Job, you get to pick what Gear you will use each time you initiate a Work Action.

An aside: There is some discussion on this, but it seems pretty clear to me from the rules that Crew are NOT assigned: unless there is a reason a Crew member cannot work a Job (such as Book or Elder Gommen on a Moral Job, or a wounded Crew sent back to the ship), ALL Crew MUST Work the Job.

Note that you can normally change Gear freely EXCEPT during a Work Action.

So, let's say you've got a Crew with a lot of Gear. During a Fly Action, you first run into a Breakdown card (requiring Tech). You can equip them with Tech-based Gear. Then the next card requires Fight. You can now equip them with guns and such.

During a Work Action, though, you cannot change Gear, regardless of what cards come up, so equip yourself carefully.

This is basically my understanding too, which comes mainly from the FAQ, which goes into detail in a way that the rules don't (but should have). My impression from the FAQ was very different from that from the rules themselves. Basically, the intent seems to be to grant maximum flexibility to gear assignment except (as noted above), importantly, in the midst of a Work action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.