Ostia» Forums » General

Subject: 2-person? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gunnar Bernler
Sweden
Molndal
flag msg tools
Has anyone played a 2 person game or heard of adjustments in the rules making it possible to play it by 2 ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Risthaus
Germany
Wolfsburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

we are working on it, but it is not easy to make auction-rounds for 2 players and have the same fun as auctions with more players.

We will let you know about our results.

Stefan Risthaus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Risthaus
Germany
Wolfsburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

just to assure you that we did not forget the issue. We have some ideas and will inform you about progresses.

Stefan Risthaus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunnar Bernler
Sweden
Molndal
flag msg tools
Glad to hear that
Gunnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Risthaus
Germany
Wolfsburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Gunnar and all the other interested

I have made up a two-player-version and tested it. You can find the rules on my website www.risthaus.eu (Spieler und Autoren-Ostia). To date it is in German only, but I am working on a translation.

Stay tuned and play Ostia meanwhile

Stefan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunnar Bernler
Sweden
Molndal
flag msg tools
Hello Stefan,
read about Your new 2-person rules to-day. I will try them ASAP and let You and the BGG community know the result.
Gunnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to keep up the once a month trend - Be sure to let us know, Gunnar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Christopher
United States
Burien
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Stefan,

Any updates on the availability of an English version of your 2-player variant?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word on anything in the last year of the variant in English...and if it is any good? has the same feel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Risthaus
Germany
Wolfsburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I am feeling very sorry about the missing translation. Hopefully I will be able to do it within the next few weeks. Thanks for being patient.

Stefan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Risthaus
Germany
Wolfsburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!
Here is the translation of the german 2-player-variant from my homepage www.risthaus.eu

Of course it is a little bit different because auction games are difficult to play with 2 players only - but the "one fixes the price - the other on decides to buy or sell"-Variant works quite good.

Have fun in playing OSTIA with two players and let me have your thoughts. Thank you for staying tuned and being patient.

Stefan

Two Player Variant:

Imagine a third player joins your game. He is named GAIUS. All rules of the usual multi-player game apply unless mentioned as follows:

Game Preparation:
Gaius gets a player board, but no storehouse. Each player including Gaius receives 70 Denarii.

Harbor Phase:
Both you and your real life opponent draw 4 cards from the pile to your boat (Gaius does not get cards at this time). Take one of these cards to your possession part of your cards. Choose another one and put it face down to the board of Gaius.
The starting player then puts his remaining two boat cards face up on the table and fixes the price for buying the package - at least the minimum price of both cards in total. The other player decides whether he wants to buy these cards or to force the starting player to buy the cards by himself. The player who buys (must buy) the cards pays the full price fixed by the starting player to the bank and takes the cards into his possession. The other player receives from the bank half of the price (round down if necessary).
Now the other player puts his 2 boat cards on the table and fixes the price. The starting player decides whether he will buy the cards or wants the other one to keep the cards.
After that the full procedure starts again: draw 4 cards, put one to your possession and one to Gaius' board. Now the other player puts his boat cards on the table first, fixes th price and waits for the starting player who decides who will get the cards.

Office-Phase:
NO additional cards are revealed!
When both real life players have put their cards on their boards, face up Gaius' cards. Gaius is allowed to open up 4 different resource types! Gaius pays for his cards the full amount as shown on the cards as the minimum price. If Gaius has not enough money, all players including Gaius get 30 extra Denarii at once.
Notice: all of Gaius' cards are considered for both, the Forum and the Senate.

Forum:
Gaius gets his income as the real life players do. All of Gaius' cards count for the price fixing. Gaius does not discard his cards.

Senate:
Look at Gaius' cards and evaluate the value of his 4 cards in the Senate. Each player including Gaius receives the victory points as usual.
Now Gaius' cards are discarded - unless it is the fifth and final round. Gaius does not store any cards for the following round.

End of Game Scoring:
Gaius receives Bonus-Points for his 4 resource cards of the Senate phase as they were stored from a real life player. In return Gaius must pay 10 Denarii for each Storehouse needed (when having 3 different types of cards, Gaius gets 3 VP and pays 30 Denarii). If Gaius cannot affort the necessary Storehouses, he only gets VP for the resource cards he can buy a storehouse for.
When granting VP for money consider Gaius!

The winner is the one with the most victory points - maybe it is Gaius.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this variant!

My dad and I just tried this for the first time yesterday, before seeing this. We played with "Billy". We took turns guessing what he would want to do. If the decision was a maybe he'd bid, we rolled a die. 50/50 shot. Billy ended up screwing me more, but it happens.

Funny thing is, Billy ended up winning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.