Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my game and am using the English (Ukrainian) rules. One rule puzzles me, though.

By the end of the game, we have a certain amount of "sets", each containing a person, thing, and location. The rules state that the Ghost must now give three cards but specifies that one must be for the character, one for the thing, and one for the location.

Why?

The goal is for the Psychics to choose the correct SET, right? So why does the Ghost have to artificially choose dreams relating to each part of the correct set? Why can't he simply choose whatever three dreams best describe the set as a whole?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

I think the stated rule helps the players a bit.

The ghost has to deliver one card for each element of the puzzle, the best that he can for each. It is therefore likely that the clues will differ in accuracy, one being a better fit than the others.

Knowing that there is one clue for each element, the investigators can work through the permutations, starting with the hottest candidate. e.g. "let's say this is the cricket bat, how do the other clues match up?".

Having said that, it seems that the final phase of the game is wide open to house-ruling, without massively affecting either fun or outcome. Therefore, you should be able to have your own rule for setting the final three dream cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand correctly the cards stay in their sets. So with only two psychics, if the first guess is wrong as long as they have another turn they would automatically know. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
thor0298 wrote:
If I understand correctly the cards stay in their sets. So with only two psychics, if the first guess is wrong as long as they have another turn they would automatically know. Correct?

Officially, I think so.

This is why we always play a sudden death (one guess) final stage, even if we have day(s) to spare. It is more climactic this way, and we never encounter the unsatisfactory circumstances that you have outlined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
thor0298 wrote:

Hopefully the psychics would guess a different set on the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
thor0298 wrote:

Officially, I think so.

This is why we always play a sudden death (one guess) final stage, even if we have day(s) to spare. It is more climactic this way, and we never encounter the unsatisfactory circumstances that you have outlined.

Official, yes.

There's a few variant idea around the forum, including the one James mentioned above. Another one is the "Rahdo 2-3 player 2nd phase" variant where you pick from the leftover set, instead of the pre-selected set for the two or three players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
eunoia wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:
thor0298 wrote:

Officially, I think so.

Official, yes.

There's a few variant idea around the forum, including the one James mentioned above. Another one is the "Rahdo 2-3 player 2nd phase" variant where you pick from the leftover set, instead of the pre-selected set for the two or three players.

This would eliminate ghosts reusing the same clue cards for the final culprit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
eunoia wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:
thor0298 wrote:

Officially, I think so.

Official, yes.

This would eliminate ghosts reusing the same clue cards for the final culprit.

Is that an issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.