Nundo Bolas
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Booster prices are changing.
Some share-holders at Hasbro must be demanding more dollars.
Starting with Timespiral, they are also changing the premium (foil) selection. Foils (even rares) will replace the common slots in boosters.

-How will this effect the game?

-Is this a trick to get more people into Magic Online?

-What about the secondary market?
Boosters cost more. Will prices for singles rise?
But there will be more foils and rares suddenly! So prices might go down. MTG is also wrecking the logical secondary market with the Special set of reprints in TS. These strange changes, which give us more cards at a higher price are alarming...

-How much longer will Hasbro use Wizards? When the lemon is juiced, what will happen?

-What about those reprints in Time Spiral with OLD LAYOUT?
Personally, I lost much attention for MTG after the layout change. But someone told me sales went up after the cardface change...
Will they slowly and gradually bring back the old cardface (note that we are returning to Dominia, and old cardfaces have also been returning.)

The last thing I've bought was a complete set of Fallen Empires.
I'm happy to see the theme of old sets return in Time Spiral.
I'm hoping for a return to the older themes and sets.
My nostalgia will probably cause me to buy two precons...

But I've been hearing depressing statements by local store-clerks about MTG. They wonder what will happen if Hasbro decides it wants more profit... The Dungeons&Dragons franchise is already being redone (4th edition) which isn't really customer-friendly. And the open-lisence for Dungeons&Dragons is being revoked.

-One last purely philsophic question:
What would happen if MTG went out-of-print?
Would people still play? What would happen to secondary market prices?

Thanx for reading.
Escuse my bad english.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you hear about 4th edition????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard similar rumors, but I believe they are based on a fictional "what would you like a 4th Edition D&D to be like" series of articles by Charles Dunwoody on RPGNet:

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/columns/brave12apr05.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
UK prices haven't gone up.

last I heard - and I may be about 10 years out of date - all the cards were printed by a Belgian firm. if that's still true, then the price rise is probably just a knok-on effect of the weak dollar, and rising production costs.

TTFN,

Stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Edwards
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neontek wrote:
Some share-holders at Hasbro must be demanding more dollars.
Starting with Timespiral, they are also changing the premium (foil) selection. Foils (even rares) will replace the common slots in boosters.

The price will go up slightly? Don't see how this affects the game.

Quote:

I don't think it's a "trick"... if people think Magic Online is a better value, they'll use that. I'd say there's a higher profit margin there for Hasbro, but I don't think it can exist without the cardboard version being successful.

Quote:
But there will be more foils and rares suddenly! So prices might go down. MTG is also wrecking the logical secondary market with the Special set of reprints in TS. These strange changes, which give us more cards at a higher price are alarming...

I don't understand. For a player, these changes have little impact. Remember, if you want to use one of the reprinted cards, you can also use the original printing. For a collector, yeah, this has impact. I think pure collectors are a small minority of the people buying cards.

Quote:
-How much longer will Hasbro use Wizards? When the lemon is juiced, what will happen?

If Wizards becomes unprofitable, they probably get spun off or closed down. I'd be very surprised if MTG or D&D ever went away though.

Quote:
Personally, I lost much attention for MTG after the layout change. But someone told me sales went up after the cardface change...
Will they slowly and gradually bring back the old cardface (note that we are returning to Dominia, and old cardfaces have also been returning.)

No. This is a thematic feature for the old cards. They're supposed to be "travelling in time" from the past.

Quote:

I don't think the game would go out of print if a lot of people were still playing it. So, if it happened, I don't think the secondary market would be very strong. Oh, until it came back as a nostalgic toy after 20 years (see Transformers, Strawberry Shortcake, Cabbage Patch dolls, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hung
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-Booster prices are changing.

This is probably due to production cost. Hasbro/Wizards get nothing from secondary market, so unlikely it's due to reprint of older cards.

Carte Mundi was the old printer they used, but looking at my Coldsnap starter, it is from Canada. So probably material cost is affecting the production. This was the case last time booster cost went higher.

In term of which slot the foil occupy, that just a layout issue. If they still use the 11 x 11 sheet for each rarity, it makes no different moving the foil to the common sheet. It still depend on how many per sheet for the foil to show, which I don't think will change.

I stopped back at Rath cycle, so I don't have a clue if the foil thing really generate more sales. Some people are crazy about them, I just used them to complete my trades if I have them. I might keep one or two around, they are just bonus cards to me.

Well, Wizards now handle AD&D and what used to be Avalon Hill, so I suspect it will be a long while before anything happens to Wizards. CCG is a cash cow and Wizards has the market shares.

I suspect you won't see Wizard using the old layout, the new one is much better functionally. They are probably refering to the block/set reference using the old symbol, Coldsnap uses IceAge.

I guess everyone will play something else!! Actually I doubt it, MTG is still the best in game mechanics to introduce someone to play CCG. There is enough of a core group to keep MTG going, plus the creation of the game circuit (aka Pro Tour) is intended for that purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoskins
United States
OKC
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neontek wrote:

Booster prices before this new price adjustment were ~ %50 more than the original $2.50/pack price in 1993 to circa 1996. M:tg is larger now than it was then, much much larger. Things changes. Prices increase. It isn't the end of the world (or this particular game)

Neontek wrote:

If the question here is - Does Hasbro want to phase out paper M:tg and move purely to M:tgO, then the answer IMO is absolutely not.

M:tg grows primarily due to word of mouth advertising. There have consistently been ads in gamer pubs, comics, what have you for several years, but no large online advertising or prime time TV advertising.

If FtF M:tg went away M:tgO would soon follow. I'll elaborate on this train of thought in a couple sections.

Neontek wrote:

A robust secondary market is actually a very good thing for a collectable game. Card values and perceived card values attract many types of new players. Companies that have disregarded this in the past have suffered (Decipher's SW:CCG and AEG's 7th Sea)

M:tg survived Chronicles. It will survive TimeSpiral.

I was talking to my old friend, Ed Fox who runs the M:tg premier tournaments for Ks,OK and Tx. For the first time in a long time he is excited about playing M:tg again because of the Timeshifted cards. I think there are a lot of closet M:tg players who may get back into the game because of nostalgia.

Neontek wrote:

But I've been hearing depressing statements by local store-clerks about MTG. They wonder what will happen if Hasbro decides it wants more profit... The Dungeons&Dragons franchise is already being redone (4th edition) which isn't really customer-friendly. And the open-lisence for Dungeons&Dragons is being revoked.

Is profit evil? When did it become amoral to make money? If companies don't make money they cease to exist which is generally a bad thing.

As an aside on DnD - 3.0 and 3.5 are approaching their 6th/7th year. A 4th edition may be a needed. Revision is a necessary evil when it comes to many games including RPGs.

Neontek wrote:

If M:tg were to go OOP would the game 'go away'. No. It would decline, but it wouldn't go away, not for a long time (decades) anyway. Netrunner has been OOP for a decade and it still has a robust fan base. Netrunner in its prime had only a fraction of the M:tg player base. M:tg has a huge player base - many active, many casual.

However, I can't envision a scenario in which M:tg would cease development and production. Hasbro could loose interest if the game declined to a point where the profit margin weren't acceptable for corporate demands, but at that point M:tg would be sold off to another company ( see Hasbro's history with Infogrames, L5R etc. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.