wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I am primarily a solo gamer at the moment and was considering picking this up based upon reading that it can be played well solo. I was wondering if only limited aspects of the game can be played solo or if there is quite a bit of solo playable material to warrant a purchase for solo play only? Also, about how long does a solo game last for?

Thanks and have a great day!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cam P
Australia
Kew
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anything about the expansions but every scenario in the base game can be played solo perfectly well. I've played a few solo games though I haven't timed them so can't comment on how long it takes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Dad
United States
Ballston Spa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays quite well solo. You still manage two characters (someone and Friday-the addition of the dog makes the game easier).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Bazar
United States
Visalia
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It's a coop game so it's the same mechanically with any number of players because you can always choose to control more than one character. The games go quicker because there's no one else there to screw up your careful plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! Sounds like a good game that does not lose too much of it's enjoyment when played as a solo game. Also am I correct in that the game is more strategy based than luck based?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:
Also am I correct in that the game is more strategy based than luck based?

There is a good dose of both involved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Broad

SA
msg tools
designer
Both.

But you can play conservatively on a turn and reduce your risk, or if you're a gambler you can play riskier to possibly get a bigger pay-off (at the risk of getting bad things happening too). This is an aspect of the game I really like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Westrope
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I would also add that not only is there an official solo game in the box, which uses a character and Friday (and the dog), that - as was alluded to earlier - because this is a co-op - you can also play solo with any of the character counts. It just requires a jot more bookkeeping.

I've found game time solo to be about 30/45 minutes once you know what you're doing. So I normally play a couple of scenarios (all of which can be played multiple times) once it's set up.

The expansions appear to be co-op as well, but I haven't investigated it yet.

I would suggest that there is a well balanced amount of flavour text for solo; enough to be interesting, but not too much that you skip it all in the solo game in order to crack on with the gameplay.

Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
yes - expansion too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the luck aspect does outweigh the strategy aspect, but that's just me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this game solo, one of my favorites. It works great since you can play it has a real solo mode that works on every level, but if you want to solo it as most coops do where you play multiple characters you can do that quite easily.

Recently a bunch of us solo gamers voted on our favorite solo games and this was #3 so lots of people like it solo. 2014 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:
...Also am I correct in that the game is more strategy based than luck based?

RC is a unique kind of game. When you sit down to read a good fiction story, you accept the author's narrative as the intended story. This game produces something similar, though it varies every time, and you get to be a part of producing that narrative.

BTW, it rattles among my top 3 favorite solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William the Fool
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:
RC is a unique kind of game. When you sit down to read a good fiction story, you accept the author's narrative as the intended story. This game produces something similar, though it varies every time, and you get to be a part of producing that narrative.
I find it increasingly difficult to justify watching a movie over playing a game of Robinson and I'm quite the film buff.

I just finished a solo play of the Livingstone scenario and the coherence of the story that was produced along the way was just astonishing. There was even a plot twist that made sense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the whole game can be played solo

Your task is to attempt to mitigate your inevitable bad luck. The odd game you can have exactly the right kind of bad luck and breeze through the whole thing without too many troubles. Those kind of games are rare.

I should repeat my co-op mantra: a pure strategy co-op (or solo) is called a puzzle. They're fun things but I wouldn't spend this kind of money on a game that would play the same twice. My first eleven games have been all kinds of different and hooray for that. Anyway, you don't have control over what happens and that's all as it should be - you're on a desert island you've never heard of!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many co-ops become solo games.... even when there are other people sitting at the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
Many co-ops become solo games.... even when there are other people sitting at the table.

Depends....i play a lot of coops games solo......but when i play co ops with others, it is a whole different experience.

Most coops...get interesting by communicating to each other what others will do and adapt your strategy against theirs.
If you are alpha gaming the group.....yes....you are right....it's exactly like a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.