Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care about historical simulation; I like fun games: agonizing choices, planning a strategy and seeing it unfold over multiple turns, hitting the other player with moves they didn't see coming. EastFront or EastFront II, it doesn't matter which; they're both fun.

If you're not sure whether it might be your kind of thing, download the rules and read 'em! http://www.columbiagames.com/resources/3405/3405EFRules.pdf

Or read some session reports: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewforum..., http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewforum....

If you own it but haven't played it, set up the first scenario (Barbarossa) and run through it solo, then find someone and let them play the Axis!

(Tonight's game was probably my 15th or 16th, and we still make a lot of rules mistakes, but we're having so much fun that it doesn't matter.)

This has been a public service announcement from your friendly neighborhood person-who-just-played-EastFront-again-tonight.

Note that EastFront has wooden pieces, and is therefore practically a euro.

Also, the rulebook has pictures. Very nice pictures, with trees & streams & other happy things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
If ye see the laird, tell him this makes the twelve hunner and nineteen time that Jennet Clouston has called down the curse on him and his house, byre and stable, man, guest, and master, wife, miss, or bairn—black be their fall! -RLStevenson
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. I've been saying since 1991 that Eastfront is the best wargame ever made because it's the most fun. The last couple of years that status has been challenged by two-player Napoleonic Wars and two- or four-player Pax Romana (amazingly fun games to play), but Eastfront is still a strong contender for that title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agreed. I love wargames, but EF is the only wargame I've ever dreamed about. It's that dense and good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Definitely Craig Besinque's crowning achievement!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Niemand wrote:

Definitely Craig Besinque's crowning achievement!

I agree; and, thus, this might be the "problem" with Columbia games since EF made its mark. Columiba game design is driven by that four-sided wooden block. In order to make everything "fit," Columbia designs seem to implode from self-imposed limitations force upon them by the all-holy block. It is time for Columbia Games to "think outside the block." goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, Bent, based on some conversation I had with Tom, he's quite willing to think outside the blocks. Problem is, all anyone sends him is block games. I'm currently working on a couple projects that bend the current Columbia block/dice/ABC system into some pretty funny shapes...whther I can bring them up to Tom's standards remains to be seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Great Game! Now, if I could just resist the urge to place my Russian HQs so close to the front...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
I've been saying since 1991 that Eastfront is the best wargame ever made because it's the most fun.

(I've said this before, but your block appreciation page was the biggest reason I first gave EastFront a try. I'd had so much fun with FUDGE, I figured you must know a thing or two about games, ha ha.)

sos1 wrote:
The last couple of years that status has been challenged by two-player Napoleonic Wars and two- or four-player Pax Romana (amazingly fun games to play)

I just got Pax Romana last weekend; the mass of the rulebook alone triggered a brief Tourette's episode, so I'm glad to hear that it'll be worth the effort!

bentlarsen wrote:
In order to make everything "fit," Columbia designs seem to implode from self-imposed limitations force upon them by the all-holy block. It is time for Columbia Games to "think outside the block."

Well, on the one hand, why? There are already plenty of other companies filling the non-block-game niche, ha ha.

And on the other hand, Columbia does "think outside the block": Mid-East Peace, Dixie: Bull Run and supplements, BattleLust, Slapshot, and a whole lot of Hârn stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
gbohrer wrote:
Actually, Bent, based on some conversation I had with Tom, he's quite willing to think outside the blocks. Problem is, all anyone sends him is block games. I'm currently working on a couple projects that bend the current Columbia block/dice/ABC system into some pretty funny shapes...whther I can bring them up to Tom's standards remains to be seen.

Geoff,
I hope no one takes this as "block-bashing." Tom, and the Columbia powers that be, could just talk to a Mark Herman, a Richard Berg, a Rick Young, etc. and there alone would be three fine designers who can think outside, as well as inside, the block.

Another reason I am less than enamored with Columbia is their bad joke that passes as a community "forum." The fault here lies both with the "block-heads" and Columbia. I, and many others, have posted questions about Columbia games which to this day have done nothing but gather cyber-dust. If you play EastFront, you will more than likely get your questions answered. The same is probably true with RitD and Crusader. Of course, I have seen the same thing happen here where questions get posted and the cyber-dust starts deepening, but at Columbia, the collection of such dust is an ongoing process with no apparent end in site. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
EastFront is super-bad-ass.

Yes, it is, but we already knew that.

kuhrusty wrote:
I don't care about historical simulation; I like fun games: agonizing choices, planning a strategy and seeing it unfold over multiple turns, hitting the other player with moves they didn't see coming. EastFront or Eastfront II, it doesn't matter which; they're both fun.

Oh the choices are agonizing, all right. EVERY TURN!

kuhrusty wrote:
If you're not sure whether it might be your kind of thing, download the rules and read 'em!

A good suggestion. That's how I sold myself on the best Eastern Front game I've ever played!

kuhrusty wrote:
If you own it but haven't played it, set up the first scenario (Barbarossa) and run through it solo, then find someone and let them play the Axis!

A very fine way to figure out the big issues.

kuhrusty wrote:
(Tonight's game was probably my 15th or 16th, and we still make a lot of rules mistakes, but we're having so much fun that it doesn't matter.)

I know what you mean; every time we play, we end up realizing we've been making a mistake or not taking advantage of some significant rules. We still occasionally have a flurry of rulebook page-flipping, but it hasn't detracted from our enjoyment of the game, which, as has been said, is FUN!

Once you've played a few times, you can knock out a scenario in two to four hours; you can also play a campaign that will take you several days and you'll need to keep it set up. Either way, it can satisfy the fast-food or the banquet hunger of the wargamer.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.