Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My regular opponent and I are debating the outcome of the Material Shortages card, which he has played this turn Spring '44. On the card:

"Place this card to the side. When the Material Shortages marker is returned from the Turn track, roll on this table:"

Now, to me this means the table result is rolled immediately in the relevant End of Turn Phase (when stuff is pulled from the table) and not in the subsequent Seasonal Phase. Hence, there are no Political DRMs. My opponent disagrees and interprets that the die roll is indeed made in the subsequent Seasonal Phase, so Political DRMs do apply. [EDIT -- oops I see that a review of rule 14.19 that the Axis must apply the DRMs. And can even choose if they want to apply USCL if relevant -- hmmm why the latter?) My question is answered as usual by a closer reading of the rules whistle

Comments?

Note this is rule 1.2.1.1. As a side comment, I don't know of any other occasion so far where these sorts of tables are rolled for NOT in the Seasonal Turn or Political Events segment. So this is one of or the only time where such a table is rolled for without DRMs. Right? [EDIT -- well, are there any circumstances where the DRMs do not apply because tables are rolled in another phase -- I don't recall ever finding such an occasion?]

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moeller
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are right about the timing of the roll. However, all rolls for tables in the Option Card Segment still apply the political DRM. The timing of the phase doesn't matter, it is still an Option Card Segment roll.

"Important: If you are rolling on a table, you must add any Political DRMs (1.1.2.1) that apply unless the event specifically instructs you otherwise."

The "unless the event specifically instructs you otherwise" seems to clearly override any timing issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

Yes, thanks -- that is another good interpretation -- except that the Material Shortages Marker is not removed in the Option Card Segment. So it's not an option card segment roll, it's an end of turn segment roll, since the card is removed during the End of Turn Phase and and then rolled immediately during that phase.

However that does not matter either! Because if we look at the rule 14.19, DRMs apply anyway in this case.

So my question now is, when are those rare circumstances when the DRMs do not apply? I have not come across any such incident. As far as I can see they always apply, but there are nuances I may have missed somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moeller
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
"So my question now is, when are those rare circumstances when the DRMs do not apply?"

If the roll is made per what the card says in the Option Card Segment or Political Segment, as far as I know there are no exceptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.