Eddie Mittelstedt
United States
Hampstead
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that Capitol, licensed from Alan Moon, has been implemented on a new Play-by-web site called Ludoholic.

Capitol is in open beta testing and I cordially welcome all who are interested to come help with the beta test.

Urland from Doris & Frank Games is also in development and should reach beta in a few weeks. We also have many, many licenses that are in line to be developed.

Come visit us at: http://www.ludoholic.com

Regards,
Ed Mittelstedt
Ludoholic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please post a reply to this thread when it comes out of Beta testing! Thanks! -Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be curious to see how many people pay $5/mo to play games by web.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Mittelstedt
United States
Hampstead
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Acutally PBW is a new direction for us. We have a live-play engine as well, and will be introducing it to Ludoholic in the near future. So members will have a choice of PBW or live play. I wanted to get the PBW adaptations established first.

Your comment can be taken in several ways. Do you not think PBW is a viable platform? Do you think it sub-standard in some way?

I realize the other PBW sites don't charge. However they also don't have licensed games and in most cases don't even have permission, so therefore have to run their sites as free. Shame on them. And it's a shame that the publishers and designers aren't getting compensated for their work.

Regards,
Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play lots of PbW. While I prefer live online gaming, I think it's a good alternative. As far as I know, every PbW site that I play on has permission for every game they implement. Smart designers and publishers know that they sell more games by letting people play online for free. I've purchased 22 games because I was able to try them online for free.

I won't say shame on anyone, but I will say that not allowing your games to be implemented online for free shows an incredible lack of foresight, equivalent to not posting your rules online.

I would perhaps pay $5/mo if you had basically every game I wanted to play, and your interface was 10x better than BSW. That is, as good as SbW or MabiWeb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shame on you too for accusing other sites of wrong doing without any facts.

http://www.spielbyweb.com/ games are all santioned by either the publishers and/or the games designer(s). See http://www.spielbyweb.com/donate.php

The games they currently have in production are:

Amun-Re, Bus, Hacienda, Hoity Toity, Reef Encounter, Tikal, and Wallenstein.

I personally own all of these except Wallenstein (and that one I have on pre-order for the re-themed reprint Shogun). Bus, Hacienda, and Hoity Toity I purchased copies of after having played them on SBW 1st. Kind of a try before you buy approach.

I believe most (if not all) of the other well known PBW sites out there are also using the games with permission (or license).

BugLaden wrote:
I realize the other PBW sites don't charge. However they also don't have licensed games and in most cases don't even have permission, so therefore have to run their sites as free. Shame on them. And it's a shame that the publishers and designers aren't getting compensated for their work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
The games they currently have in production are:

Amun-Re, Bus, Hacienda, Hoity Toity, Reef Encounter, Tikal, and Wallenstein.

I was also going to say they have in testing:

La Città and Santiago

and in development:

Caylus, El Grande, and Maharaja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Mittelstedt
United States
Hampstead
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hold on, hold on. I didn't mention any site specifically by name, nor am I attacking any specific site. So any inferences you make are all you!

I've gone through a lot of trouble to do this right, to get the licenses so that you have the opportunity to play these titles online. So naturally I'm going to be a bit antagonistic over those who cut corners and are on the shadier side. (Again, note I'm not naming names!)

PBW is a great way to play games online. As this technology matures, I predict you are going to see a shift in the attitides of the designers towards PBW, and less of a willingness to allow free play.

Quote:
but I will say that not allowing your games to be implemented online for free shows an incredible lack of foresight, equivalent to not posting your rules online.

Alan Moon does not wish to allow his titles to be played freely online. And in my opinion, I think he has incredible foresight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo B.
Italy
Unspecified
flag msg tools
BugLaden wrote:
I realize the other PBW sites don't charge. However they also don't have licensed games and in most cases don't even have permission, so therefore have to run their sites as free. Shame on them.

Shame on who??
For all the games I have implemented on MaBiWeb I obviously have permission from designers and publisher.
You seem to imply that this license you are so proud of is a good thing for the players, but it's only a necessity for you, who want to try to gain some money from this. I have no commercial interests for my site and so I don't need any license, just the permission to create a free online implementation.

BugLaden wrote:
And it's a shame that the publishers and designers aren't getting compensated for their work.

This is total nonsense. All the designers and publishers I have contacted so far have been more than willing to grant their permission, as they fully realize what you seem to miss: a free online implementation is the best advertising they could hope for their games. They should be paying for it (and in one case, BSW, they do!).
Publishers spend a huge sum of money attending fairs, events and cons in order to show and demo their games to a handful of players, while a free website has a potential reach which is orders of magnitude higher. And they don't have to pay anything!

Anyway, obviously it's their choice. For those of them who see more value in the money they can get licensing their games to a pay site, I certainly don't have a problem avoiding to implement their games.

And I don't have a problem with you and your site, as long as you don't come here insinuating that free sites like mine are legally or morally on the wrong side, because that's completely false.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BugLaden wrote:
However they also don't have licensed games and in most cases don't even have permission...

BugLaden wrote:
Hold on, hold on. I didn't mention any site specifically by name, nor am I attacking any specific site. So any inferences you make are all you!

You made the implication, you got called on it, and now you are back-pedaling. Take a stand.

BugLaden wrote:
Alan Moon does not wish to allow his titles to be played freely online. And in my opinion, I think he has incredible foresight.

Time will tell. Let us know when you get your first 10 paying users.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo B.
Italy
Unspecified
flag msg tools
BugLaden wrote:
I've gone through a lot of trouble to do this right, to get the licenses so that you have the opportunity to play these titles online. So naturally I'm going to be a bit antagonistic over those who cut corners and are on the shadier side. (Again, note I'm not naming names!)

Then please do name some names, otherwise stop hinting at illegal or unethical behaviour by 'someone'.

BugLaden wrote:
PBW is a great way to play games online. As this technology matures, I predict you are going to see a shift in the attitides of the designers towards PBW, and less of a willingness to allow free play.

Personally, I don't think there is a market for PBW sites of 'these games of ours' (there is hardly one for classic games, which are enormously more popular), but I would be glad to be proved wrong: I would shutdown MaBiWeb, register on your site and I could play the games I like saving a lot of time and money.
I very much doubt it will happen, but we'll see in a few years...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Mittelstedt
United States
Hampstead
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
When confronted by an angry mob, the natural reaction is to take steps backward!

Mabi, I was definitely not insinuating anything about your site in particular. In fact it was your site that inspired me to go in the direction of PBW. I've been in talks with Michael for several months now and know you are on the up-and-up.

I realize now how inflammatory my comment was. I formally would like to retract my comment that started all this and apologize for anyone whose feathers I have ruffled.

So.... beta PBW Capitol anyone?

Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.