Popular Tags: [View All]
Lindy Castro
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this game twice at the last game night. We played a six player game and I must say, it was brutal. Basically, the first person to have his ships eliminated in a sector gets swarmed on by everyone else like piranha. We had one player get knocked out after only his first turn! The game then continued to drag out with the remaining 5 players for what felt like a long time.

So this got me thinking of a way to keep every player in until the end. I was thinking of changing the victory conditions from being the last man standing to the first player to kill 3 command ships. This would mean that once a player's command ship is eliminated, they would draw a new command ship, fleet ships and hand. The downside is this may extend the game as people vie to get the killing shot in. I imagine everyone hoarding their cards until they get the uber-combo... Has anyone tried any variants?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to player elimination. I really enjoy the game of Bang!, in spite of having been personally been eliminated before even taking one turn before. I still like that game because I know it was a freak occurance. Maybe I just need some more plays of Mag Blast before I offer up changes but it would seem that 1st turn player elimination will be very common in Mag Blast, especially in the first round when everyone has a full hand of cards and everyone is your enemy.

Or maybe I should just accept the game as is in spite of its arrrhcut throat nature....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you follow the rule where, in a 5+ player game, a player is only allowed to attack the players to his immediate left and right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend doing so in a 4-person game as well. That and a mulligan if necessary on the first ship draw is really all you need to do. I've always had a lot of fun playing this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindy Castro
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beri wrote:
Did you follow the rule where, in a 5+ player game, a player is only allowed to attack the players to his immediate left and right?

I saw that optional rule. That would slow down the carnage. I'll have to try that one the next time we play, Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Sawicki
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I haven't played the game so far, but I hope I will; sooner or later. I have read about MB quite a lot.

I have been thinking about a similar solution you have mentioned.

Mag Blast is mostly critisized due to a lack of balance of available spieces (different abilities) and the fact one player can be out of the game before he could even start because of a bad luck in a first draw.

In my view a solution of coming back to the game and changing victory conditions from eliminating other players to a total score of kills (3-4, depending on how long players want to play one game) would make it more similar to Munchkin, which is in my view a great game thanks to the smart mechanics of bringing players back to life - a temporary bad luck (like a bad first draw of cards) doesn't mean you gonna loose.

I think a gameplay could benefit from this and the game could possibly create less personal conflict among players. It is not a big deal if your poor fleet went down since you can simply draw a new spiecies card and try again - an instant sweet revenge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.