Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Comeaux
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the time is up I know there is a voting round, each player can vote on the spy. This is the first time when people can openly talk, though. If everyone starts saying 'that was weird that you said that work was hard' and the person responds 'yea but I know it's the school' or 'yea but I think being a teacher is hard'. Immediatly everyone knows that he is good. That narrows down the spy.

I know that spy's can't guess during a vote because if a spy sees that he is going to get caught they might see it as an 'out', but allowing the spy to vote at this point would discourage everyone from just saying 'ok we all know it was the school right?' And just seeing who looks surprised. Or even pointing at each person and saying 'what was your role!' And going down the line... 'Teacher', 'student', 'no he can't be! I am a student!' And boom, you have narrowed the spy to two people. I know that this might be clearly be seen by some as not being the spirit of the game, but I feel like there needs to be a clear rule so that people who want to try it or people involved in a game where someone else wants to try it don't feel cheated.

I like the game a lot, but could see how something could come up and then you spend a half hour scratching your head and trying to decipher the rules when all you want to do is get another game going.

Can a spy guess after time runs out? Are players allowed to discuss anything after the time runs out?

If anyone has a clear answer it would be much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I talked to the publisher directly about this and the spy cannot guess the location after the round timer is up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Comeaux
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the players could give not-so-subtle hints of location too weed the spy out? Even if you weren't trying to I would find it hard not to if you are pointing out odd answers.

If the spy cannot guess after time is up, I feel like there should be very little discussion among players.

I like this as a change of pace from resistance, it's a very different game. I would hate to see it revert to resistance when time runs out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
What I find odd about the end is that whilst there is discussion, you still vote going clockwise officially. But unless it's unanimous it's irrelevant... something about it seems weird, like they just couldn't work out a clean way to end it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I want to know is: how did all of you get this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
EmperorJacob wrote:
Didn't. Home made version from content on the forums (with permission)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my game group we do NOT give any time for discussion when time is up. When the buzzer sounds we do a three-two-one vote and everyone points at once. Most pointed at is accused of being the spy.

We do allow a little discussion if there is an in-game accusation and we also do a simultaneous thumbs up (spy) or thumbs down (not spy) vote.

At no point would we do the kind of discussion you mentioned (school, right? or "I was a student" as that is not in the spirit of the game IMHO).

Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:
In my game group we do NOT give any time for discussion when time is up. When the buzzer sounds we do a three-two-one vote and everyone points at once. Most pointed at is accused of being the spy.

We do allow a little discussion if there is an in-game accusation and we also do a simultaneous thumbs up (spy) or thumbs down (not spy) vote.

At no point would we do the kind of discussion you mentioned (school, right? or "I was a student" as that is not in the spirit of the game IMHO).

Great game!
yeah that seems better to me.

But then... thematically isn't the time expiring like the spy having completed their missing? He got the info he wanted...? maybe...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Comeaux
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well to me the great thing about the game was that it was self balancing. You can say whatever you want, but giving too much info 'I am a student' would tip the spy off immediately so you don't want to say it. I thought that was what was beautiful and simple about it. That is why you cannot talk during voting.

There is no open talking during time, then after time is up the beauty of the game is thrown out. Open talking is allowed, the spy just sits there hoping he doesn't get found and everyone has to worry about the spirit of the game. I think the game is great, but endgame needs some help with house rules I think.

I think one vote, majority, and no open discussion would work best. It ends the game fast so you can move to the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Comeaux
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EmperorJacob wrote:

I am a graphic designer. Made one self designed copy for myself. Lot of work for one copy, but I knew this game would be a hit with my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seandroog wrote:
EmperorJacob wrote:

I am a graphic designer. Made one self designed copy for myself. Lot of work for one copy, but I knew this game would be a hit with my group.

I just scrawled on some blank cards with a marker pen. Job done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seandroog wrote:
Well to me the great thing about the game was that it was self balancing. You can say whatever you want, but giving too much info 'I am a student' would tip the spy off immediately so you don't want to say it. I thought that was what was beautiful and simple about it. That is why you cannot talk during voting.

There is no open talking during time, then after time is up the beauty of the game is thrown out. Open talking is allowed, the spy just sits there hoping he doesn't get found and everyone has to worry about the spirit of the game. I think the game is great, but endgame needs some help with house rules I think.

I think one vote, majority, and no open discussion would work best. It ends the game fast so you can move to the next one.

Yeah, we did this too. One time it went full 8 min. I felt "open discussion" was going to be way to easy to root out the spy...so I pushed for a vote. I don't like that mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
EmperorJacob wrote:
Want to play this game prior to a US release? Here's how!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:

Great game!

What if both a spy and good guy get same number of votes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is how we handled the 8 minute mark. It went over well.

First a question was asked.

Spy do you want to guess?

If there was silence we did a 3, 2, 1 point. We didn't have any ties but a tie would have gone to the spy since they were not identified. We didn't like the vote starting with the starting player since there is no point in voting for someone other than the first player's selection (unless everyone else thinks the first player is the spy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Comeaux
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sancmat wrote:
Here is how we handled the 8 minute mark. It went over well.

First a question was asked.

Spy do you want to guess?

If there was silence we did a 3, 2, 1 point. We didn't have any ties but a tie would have gone to the spy since they were not identified. We didn't like the vote starting with the starting player since there is no point in voting for someone other than the first player's selection (unless everyone else thinks the first player is the spy).

I like the idea of letting the Spy guess one more time before one big vote, we will have to try this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:

Interestingly, that seems to be more or less how the voting rule works in the German edition of the game. My understanding is that ties mean a win for the Spy. The German rules about voting go something like this:

Everybody can suspect someone in clockwise order. The one with the majority of votes has to reveal their card.

Source: this thread and this thread

I've wondered if it's an official change, and why it was made; and also if it's an improvement on the voting rules in the Cryptozoic edition. Update: see this new thread for more discussion about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.