Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Hello,

Basically I have two questions:

1. How many solo scenarios come with the base game and how is the replayability?

2. The Lost Legion looks amazing with General Volkare as the solo player nemesis. Can you use Volkare in all the base game scenarios instead of the dummy player or is he primarily used in just the expansion scenarios? I understand there are only a couple scenarios in the expansion is this accurate?

Thanks,

Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
1: there is only 1 solo scenario, but the replayability is almost infinite. This is because every time the game will have a different map with different challenges, and your Deed Deck will evolve in a unique way.

2: take the following with a grain of salt, because I don't own LL. There are two Volkare scenarios, both unique. One of the Volkare scenarios is pretty similar to the Solo Conquest scenario of the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The basic solo conquest in the base set is pretty much infinitely replayable. Infact, I think the main reason to buy the Lost Legion expansion is getting all the new cards (including the corrected ones) and new token enemies, as well as the new character, Wolfhawk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
So is the solo scenario's primary objective to earn points and compare it to your previous scores?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to think that the game only has Solo Conquest right out of the box. I've not yet tried the Volkare stuff because I haven't won a solo conquest yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game has officially one solo, but you can run Mines Liberation and Dungeon Lords solo, if desired. Also, you can go blitz solo, too. Throw in variations (random tile rotation), and you have a game where there is always something new. There are many other solo scenarios gathered in these forums.

The Lost Legions expansion has technically three new scenarios, as one of the two scenario concepts has a blitz option. Volkare's camp can also substitute as a city in all the base game scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two different Volkare scenarios in Lost Legion, one of which has also a shorter variant. There is also a variant that adds Volkare to the base game's Solo Conquest.

I am just about to move to the Volkare scenarios after having won Solo Conquest with each different character. And yet I could just as well play Solo Conquest for many more times, I am not tired of it at all.

That said, the Volkare scenarios seem like an enormous improvement in the way they simulate an opponent and look like they will be challenging and fun.

Frankly, this is the most replayable game I 've come across. It feels like you are getting so much game in the base + expansion, I could justify paying triple the price for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can have Volkare stomping around the map in scenarios that aren't specifically written for him. I mean, you could try! But there's no given way to do it. There are (as someone pointed out) rules for using Volkare's camp as one of the cities in Solo Conquest, but in that case, he doesn't replace the dummy player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
surferthanos wrote:
So is the solo scenario's primary objective to earn points and compare it to your previous scores?

Not really. You do calc a score at the end of the game, but you're mostly just playing to win. For me at least, the scoring is secondary to the winning. And if you find you're winning too often, you can always up the difficulty by simply increasing the level of the two cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
I don't think you can have Volkare stomping around the map in scenarios that aren't specifically written for him. I mean, you could try! But there's no given way to do it. There are (as someone pointed out) rules for using Volkare's camp as one of the cities in Solo Conquest, but in that case, he doesn't replace the dummy player.

I did try — using Volkare as a playable character with a few tweaks to substitute for skills. It was interesting, but certainly didn’t have a polished feel and is not a variant I would recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
surferthanos wrote:

Yes.

But Lost Legion makes the solo scenarios more about winning or losing - which is one of the main reasons I bought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
surferthanos wrote:

No!

Scoring points is fun, but the main objective is the adventure itself (and winning it, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.