Fireteam Zero» Forums » General

Subject: Personal thought about the board design rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Goyo L.
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the new design of the city board is cool compared to the old one, but I think it would be better if the buildings show their inside instead of their roofs.

Isn't it weird seeing miniatures crossin a city using the top of the buildings instead of sneaking into them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve mohrbacher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a fair point, especially when one of the tiles does show the interior. I do know they have two types of maps; ones that shows larger spaces like the woods or the town, and ones that show interiors like the mine shafts. So, the maps that cover larger areas will likely not show details like interiors, the other type will. It may not be the final product, of course, but this is a good question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
xen3000 wrote:
That's a fair point, especially when one of the tiles does show the interior. I do know they have two types of maps; ones that shows larger spaces like the woods or the town, and ones that show interiors like the mine shafts. So, the maps that cover larger areas will likely not show details like interiors, the other type will. It may not be the final product, of course, but this is a good question.

It makes sense the way they have done it.

Outside locations are "zoomed out" so you get an overview of a wide area. Items on the board are not in one-to-one scale with the miniatures, it is more like "dudes on a map" rather than the outside locations you see in a game like Mansions of Madness.

Meanwhile, interior locations are "zoomed in" for more of a "dungeon-crawling" style. Again, this makes sense as you will get a more claustrophobic, close-quarters feel to the events unfolding.

I'm trying to think of other games that do this and I can't think of any off the top of me head. Anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve mohrbacher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
xen3000 wrote:

It makes sense the way they have done it.

Outside locations are "zoomed out" so you get an overview of a wide area. Items on the board are not in one-to-one scale with the miniatures, it is more like "dudes on a map" rather than the outside locations you see in a game like Mansions of Madness.

Meanwhile, interior locations are "zoomed in" for more of a "dungeon-crawling" style. Again, this makes sense as you will get a more claustrophobic, close-quarters feel to the events unfolding.

I'm trying to think of other games that do this and I can't think of any off the top of me head. Anyone?

I completely agree it works. The one thing that is questionable is that single tile in the gameplay video where it depicts an interior while all the other tiles do not. I don't think it is bad, as I saw where it altered gameplay a few times. It just does not feel consistent or fully optimized (that particular map). My guess is that it is not the finalized version yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goyo L.
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
xen3000 wrote:

Meanwhile, interior locations are "zoomed in" for more of a "dungeon-crawling" style. Again, this makes sense as you will get a more claustrophobic, close-quarters feel to the events unfolding

And wouldn't it be easier to create maps with more tiles in order to make a real "overview of a wide area" in a 1:1 scale?

Maybe if there were some missions with bigger scenarios using more than 4 tiles would add different situations from mission to mission....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve mohrbacher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am actually glad they did not do that, at least not for the base game. Changing the map scale/size effects time to play and the balance of cards/monsters. As of right now it looks to be a tightly focused tactical game. Besides, there are the multi-squad maps and modding tools that will allow the community to make pretty much anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it, I think these guys are sooo tough, they probably can move through walls so why not on the roofs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
goyacorl wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
xen3000 wrote:

Meanwhile, interior locations are "zoomed in" for more of a "dungeon-crawling" style. Again, this makes sense as you will get a more claustrophobic, close-quarters feel to the events unfolding

And wouldn't it be easier to create maps with more tiles in order to make a real "overview of a wide area" in a 1:1 scale?

Maybe if there were some missions with bigger scenarios using more than 4 tiles would add different situations from mission to mission....

I wouldn't like that. Spawn points would be too far apart, all the monsters would be moving too slowly. And even with eight tiles I don't think you are going to get that feeling of running around an entire invested town or mountain range.

Different strokes, I guess, but I really like how this game is handling scale. It also feels a bit new and interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a problem with the design. I mean, where else would you find the perfect position for a sniper?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Jameson
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; Ex Luce Ad Tenebras
mbmbmbmbmb
Map scale/design/perspective always walks a fine line between playability and practicality. I think they have done a good job here from what I have seen - although, would be nice to see some more close-ups of the tiles, including expansion content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The map tiles are already physically pretty large. Any bigger and they'd need to include a new table as an add-on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.