6 Posts

Lords of Waterdeep» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for a Xmas gift? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate L
msg tools
mb
I love strategy games, so I'm considering asking for this for Xmas. I need some help deciding if this is the game I should ask for.

Three questions:

How much will casual friends/gamers enjoy this game?

How strategic is this game and how much luck is involved?
(I want a highly strategic game)

Thanks for any suggestions and help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't called a gateway game "for nothing".

It has a good balance of strategy, luck (in the Intrigue cards), and worker-placement turn management.

If you allow yourself to enjoy your casual-gamer friends learning, you will find a good game. It isn't deep, brain-hurting, and lengthy but most casuals (and some not-so-casual) don't like those games initially anyway.

We find it very good across many types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stygldponyboy wrote:

Three questions:

How much will casual friends/gamers enjoy this game?

How strategic is this game and how much luck is involved?
(I want a highly strategic game)

Thanks for any suggestions and help!

The first reply was correct, this is considered a good gateway game in the worker placement sphere. Largely because the presence of luck is so large, that it prevents people with an overwhelming familiarity with the game/general strategy from running away with every game. There is a lot of luck involved in what quests come up, what Intrigue cards you get, and what buildings appear and when. If you are dealt a particular type of quest desire via your lord, and NONE of the available optional buildings ever come up that produce additional resources of the type you need, you are in big trouble, if you don't adapt, and quick. And frequently the lord bonus at the end is the difference maker, so that adapting away from that is hard. Thus, I find that the game isn't really very strategic, it's more tactical but with a slightly longer tactical window--your tactical plan may involve multiple rounds to accomplish, but there is no one real strong single game -strategy-. (There are exceptions, of course, if you happen to get a good combo early on -- the quest that generates extra fighters when you get any and you have the fighter lord, etc).

So in my opinion, LoW is more tactical, with a larger tactical window, but still not strategic. It is, however, very accessible, and there is margin for error, unlike a lot of strategy games where a mistake early on can completely prevent you from building an effective engine over the course of the game. There isn't a ton of engine building in LoW, so it's not as critical.

To compare this to Seasons (I saw you post the same query in that forum as well, so I'll offer the comparison here), while they are completely different games, I feel that Seasons has a lot more strategy to it, although it is also certainly mitigated by an amount of luck.

I will say that I love both of these games, and they are both in my top five. I think either of them is a good choice, but I think with regards to your specific questions, Seasons is the more strategic/less luck-driven option, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree, long-tactical is a better description. You must adapt but there are many ways to adapt. I don't feel the luck element is as invasive because there are ways to push through.

I don't know Seasons.

I guess to push the question back: Are you wanting a game that is your 'best and favorite' or an addition to your collection that is different and might get more gamers in your circle of friends?

I have both in my collection (and I have only been at this hobby a short while)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Solt
United States
Palmerton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just introduced LoW to two people that don't really like board games and they loved it. One was trying to play it cutthroat, and it wasn't until round three when he realized that it wasn't really that type of game. Then he was able to relax and have fun.

There really isn't much luck as far as I see. It helps to know what each Lord needs for each of the two quests they have affinity for. Such as, if you have one that likes skullduggery, you need to find a way to keep yourself drowning in rogues. Nothing is worse than having a quest worth a ton of VP and having no way to get the assets needed.

Also, if you find a way to win with the builder, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We love the builder /either of them.

They are very money dependent so you need a couple of places to earn it. If you have the builder and one of the money-buildings is available, the question becomes "will you circle the board twice?"

Our best counter to the builder is the quest that rewards "the ability to fulfill quests on the board". That reward is so powerful, it is an automatic quest-reset if either of us can't acquire it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.