South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6-Jun-1944
0830 hrs

American Initiative: 8
German Initiative: 5

Colonel Ewell led his paratrooper platoon into the small settlement west of his position and ordered Captain Burrell to follow suit, along with a few men armed with heavy machine guns. Finding the town empty, they continue west towards their objective, the village of Pouppeville. They spot a German strongpoint in sector 0409, but it appears abandoned.

0900 hrs
American Initiative: 6
German Initiative: 4

The paratroopers approach the unoccupied strongpoint to rummage for documents or maps when the sharp staccato of rifle fire bears down on them!

Closely monitoring their approach, the German Lieutenant and his 50 grenadiers, hidden in their strongpoint in sector 0412, strafe the paratroopers but only manage to alert the Americans to their presence.

0915 hrs
American Initiative: 7
German Initiative: 6

Colonel Ewell orders the charge and the paratroopers rush towards the German strongpoint as bullets scream and whine all around them. Miraculously, the paratroopers survive the rush with few casualties and prepare to assault the German position.

0930 hrs
American Initiative: 7
German Initiative: 6

Unfazed by the German fire, the paratroopers lob grenades into the well-defended pillboxes and follow them with rifle fire. The German counter is equally as fierce and the losses are heavy on both sides. Half of the American HMG unit is dead or out of action and the rest are disrupted by the casualties. Captain Burrell is shaken by the loss of good men. Likewise, the German strongpoint is breached, the defenders slain by grenades. The German LT is demoralized and the grenadiers are disrupted as the battle losses mount.

The Germans attempt to counter the American assault but are repelled by superior firepower. The German LT takes a bullet to the chest and expires with a gasp.

0945 hrs
American Initiative: 6
German Initiative: 2

The assault in sector 0412 continues. The leaderless grenadiers are demoralized and prepare to abandon their position, but somehow manage to rally and stay in the fight.

They fight bravely for the next fifteen minutes, but are overwhelmed and demoralized, they flee, only to be hit by fire as they run for cover. Half their number are mowed down by HMG rounds before surrendering.

The Germans concede defeat and the Americans win!

Conclusion: Historically, the Germans were actually Russian “volunteers”. By the time Ewell’s force had taken Pouppeville at noon, 63 “Germans” had been killed or captured while the paratroopers suffered only 6 killed and 12 wounded (out of 60 total men).

This simulation was rather accurate.

Personal Notes: This scenario took about 30 minutes from set-up tom completion. I routed the Germans with only token resistance. Of course, the opportunity fire as the Americans stormed 0412 was ineffective (all the morale checks were passed) and the first strongpoint in 0412 was (thankfully) unoccupied. Otherwise, this might have played out differently

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Haberberger
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this is a quick one, I played it last week, but I found it a little boring, I need more than two platoons per side.

Scenario four looks more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Neff
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Scenario 2 was much more interesting. This would be great to introduce someone to the rules, but let them be the American side. It's just too tilted in their favor.

Scenario 4 was better, but I think I need to strategize better and learn not to rush into conflict unless I can get some sort of tactical advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.