Popular Tags: [View All]
zippy grey wedge owner
Malaysia
Putrajaya
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lazy Saturday morning [my birthday], my eldest son Shafeeq had recently completed his UPSR [lit. primary school assessment test]. He and his younger brother Haziq remarked that it's been ages since I played Space Crusade with them. So I took the box out and let them set up. Seems we left it at completion of Mission 1 last time, with Shafeeq having been promoted to Lieutenant Primus and gaining 3 honour badges. Shafeeq continues playing Blood Angels,

while Haziq continues with his squad of Ultramarines.

I've always tried to make these sessions fun for them, so the blips were divided into roughly 4 equal piles [no reinforcements in this game]. The initial 2 piles were for each of the board [representing alien ships being boarded by the Adeptus Astartes i.e. Space Marines] quadrants where the boarding torpedoes clamped on, and consist mainly gretchins and orks, with an android and a chaos marine [evil marines] thrown into each pile. Both boys crushed the initial resistance without too much casualty. However, Shafeeq's Blood Angels lost a bolter-toting marine to an android.

Meanwhile Haziq's Ultramarine commander [rank Sergeant] despatched an android in hand-to-hand combat with little trouble.

Having cleared their initial quadrants, they then moved into the second half of the ship. Shafeeq's Blood Angels [now reduced to 4 men] moved from the NE to the SE quadrant. There was heavy enemy movement here, with the chaos marine commander [primary mission], his heavy weapon marine [secondary mission] and the dreadnought all being revealed here. His commander was attacked by a lurking android and almost died, before remembering the melta-bomb equipment he carried. However, the commander took 3 wounds [initial 6 wounds] before despatching the lurking skeletal assassin.

Haziq's Ultramarines also encountered an android in the SW quadrant after clearing the NW. He lost his plasmagun marine in the ensuing hand-to-hand combat. The squad was surrounded by greenskins [gretchins and orks], while his commander lags behind after clearing the last resistance in the NW quadrant.

After shooting the chaos marine commander with hot plasma [primary mission, 30 points], it looks like Shafeeq's Blood Angels might gain a lot of points and win the game. Hence I decided to give his younger brother the chance to take out the tasty dreadnought [worth 25 points] and moved it closer into the Ultramarines location [SW quadrant].

Then the Blood Angels, in true hotheaded fashion, sent a marine into hand-to-hand combat using his bolter combat blade [can attack diagonally, opponent rolls one less die] and despatched the chaos heavy weapon marine, earning the secondary mission's 15 points. The rest of the squad had little trouble clearing the quadrants of the remaining orks and gretchins.

Haziq's Ultramarines commander decided to give the "Move It!" order [move twice] and sent the commander [with meltabomb] into hand-to-hand combat with the dreadnought. He managed to take out its 2 heavy weapons.

In the subsequent round, the commander destroyed the dreadnought but lost another marine to the remaining orks still surrounding the Ultramarines. After clearing the ship of all remaining enemy, the marines sped back to their boarding torpedoes. The Blood Angels won the game, gaining a promotion and 3 honour badges, while the Ultramarines gained 2 honour badges. And dad of course got summarily bashed....

Shafeeq [Blood Angels] 141
Haziq [Ultramarines] 47
dad 25

Well, boys will be boys and will play with toy soldiers. They had fun, and I hope you did reading this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nice writeup!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.