United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question for our international fans. How many copies is too many copies in a bundled pledge? What I mean is, if I offer discounted shipping for 3 games is it easy to find 2 other gamers to help with that? How about 4 or 5 gamers? How many copies makes sense? Note: 3 copies is really the minimum for any sort of a bundling discount.

Basically, I drop $12 off the shipping costs for each game/backer. So for three games that includes $36 in free shipping, but it still costs $56 on average to ship three medium sized/weight games. This means I would still have to charge $20 for shipping those 3 games. The benefit for the international backers is that they split the $20 shipping cost.

I have not made any firm decisions on pledge rewards or shipping costs yet, because I still need to receive a final quote. Plus, the US postal service changes rates at the beginning of the year, which will affect my numbers.

I am interested in offering a "Free International Shipping" pledge, but it would have to be for 5 copies of the game. My question is, how difficult is it to find 5 different gamers who will share that cost?

[UPDATE]
The game will be EU-friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I doubt it would be very easy to find people to go in on bundles. It's rare to buy the same game within close groups and internal shipping costs will wipe out any savings. The chances of serendipitiously finding like-minded gamers close enough to hand them over to is negligible.

The most important thing is to ensure it is distributed internally to avoid custom fees. If you intend to ship from the US then I fear I and others will wait for the game to reach standard distribution channels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Martin
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above remark that EU friendly shipping is a better option. I wouldn't mind paying for (reasonable) shipping from some UK or European shipper. Goods from outside the EU can be subject to 20% VAT, and in all my experience, if this customs charge is made, an £8 "handling fee" is also tacked on top of that. soblue

For expensive items (or a collection of items), something like £135 or more, there can be an additional "duty" charge as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard for individuals to say what the take up may be - my personal experience I have been able to get 10 people together for a bundle of 10 games of 'A Study in Emerald' and know that my group has supported a 6 bundle of 'Promised Land', and have done joint orders on a number of occasions.

So maybe bundles of 3 or options for 6 and I imagine you would get some take up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Klapka
Czech Republic
Praha 10
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with above statement. EU friendly shipping (shipping from within EU) is most important. Alternatively I have good experience with Bezier games, their fulfillment partner always avoided any charges by marking game 10 USD value. Still I would prefer EU shipping.

I can imagine that bundle of 3 games is still achievable. I can imagine to talk 2 friends into this. But I think it is not so common.

Also I would say avoid "stupid" stretch goals. By stupid I mean anything which is not yet tested and would change game significantly. Recent example is Columbia Games Victory in Europe. Premise of KS was to ship complete game within few months. However due to stretch goals they have doubled card deck, they have added more blocks, etc... Thus they have to start new round of playtesting and game is already delayed pretty much. I would say that these stretch goals are ok for miniature or card games but not so much for complete wargames.

I am looking forward to this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsay Scholle
Australia
St Ives, 2075
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both three and five copy bundles would be good. We have various Kickstarter groups in different cities in Australia. All have been set up to take advantage of bundle offers with local distribution. Many games have also had success with multiple ten game bundles, but I think the five or six game bundle is easier for groups to manage.

Here's the Sydney group as an example:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/146671/kickstarter-groups...

It'so not a complete list because many completed Kickstarter pledges have been deleted once they've been delivered.

I'm very much looking forward to your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
kamixx wrote:
Also I would say avoid "stupid" stretch goals. By stupid I mean anything which is not yet tested and would change game significantly.

That's not going to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Asimakis
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scholle wrote:
Both three and five copy bundles would be good. We have various Kickstarter groups in different cities in Australia. All have been set up to take advantage of bundle offers with local distribution. Many games have also had success with multiple ten game bundles, but I think the five or six game bundle is easier for groups to manage.

Here's the Sydney group as an example:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/146671/kickstarter-groups...

It'so not a complete list because many completed Kickstarter pledges have been deleted once they've been delivered.

I'm very much looking forward to your game.

What he said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trev
Australia
St Kilda
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking forward to Hands in the Sea!

For Australia the main limitation is the AUD$1000 threshold for tax and customs charges. Goods + shipping of value less than AUD$1000 (US$820 and shrinking) incur no tax.

The more options for group buy quantities the better. For example a group buy of 3 games plus $x for each additional game is the most flexible. Free shipping for 5 copies is great.

Shipping charges mean that group buys are the only sensible option for Australia. Group funding of Kickstarters is very active in Melbourne, Australia:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/melbks/
http://www.melbournegamers.com/viewforum.php?f=36

Also consider local fulfilment.

www.milsims.com.au have done local fulfilment for other kickstarters. This significantly reduces the cost of shipping, although tax and customs charges need to be factored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd prefer a small bundle (3 is good; I hope) as this type of game is more of a niche product and harder to find other buyers for. Our threshold here to avoid tax/duty is about $300 USD (including shipping cost) so the really large bundles are never viable anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't you just offer both?

I am pretty sure I can find five people to go in on a bundle, we do this sort of stuff all the time in my game club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I failed to mention in my original post that the game will indeed be EU-friendly. International backers will be able to partake in both a bundled discount and EU-friendly shipping.

I crunched a few numbers and it looks like I can offer free international shipping at 5 copies of the game. That could change based on the shipping prices at the beginning of the year though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly an option attracting international backers like us in A Freeport in Asia, where Facebook is so popular to call up like-minded gamers for free shipping. Five might be hard to come by but three should be reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Frouvne Knudsen
Denmark
DK-2900 Hellerup
Hellerup
flag msg tools
germangames.dk
badge
frouvne
mbmbmbmbmb
EU-Friendly Free International Shipping makes this sound like something I could quite easily tempt four other gamers with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowkn wrote:

I crunched a few numbers and it looks like I can offer free international shipping at 5 copies of the game. That could change based on the shipping prices at the beginning of the year though.

That would be GREAT! Past KS's have done well with a 6 copy option, it sounds like many would also like the 3 game bundle with shared shipping

Options are always good as I like to say, if not too much trouble it would be great to include a 3 & 5/6 game bundle, then people can shoot for the 5/6 option for the free shipping but if can't drum up enough people can still choose the 3 game one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shadowkn wrote:
I failed to mention in my original post that the game will indeed be EU-friendly. International backers will be able to partake in both a bundled discount and EU-friendly shipping.

Good to hear and certain to be the major factor in persuading EU-based backers to commit.

Care to indicate your intended launch date?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
Care to indicate your intended launch date?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/17553637#17553637

February is the intended month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes EU-Friendly is essential for European backers... but shipping costs most also be reasonable...

We've seen some EU-Friendly KS with $40 of shipping costs...

That's also a big no no!

It's cool to offer free shipping in bundles but single game shipping should also be reasonable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblivion wrote:
Yes EU-Friendly is essential for European backers... but shipping costs most also be reasonable...

We've seen some EU-Friendly KS with $40 of shipping costs...

That's also a big no no!

It's cool to offer free shipping in bundles but single game shipping should also be reasonable!

I do understand how important it is to offer reasonable international shipping costs for bundled as well as single pledge rewards. However, many things need to be taken into consideration as there are many risks to game publishers if they make the wrong decision in this matter.

The current shipping cost for a Priority Mail box, at the estimated Hands in the Sea weight, would cost $44 to ship from the US to most International locations. There are options to ship pallets of games directly to warehouses in the EU, although there are fees for using those sorts of services. In the end the shipping costs end up being very similar, if not more expensive.

I am curious what others think a reasonable price would be to ship a game internationally if the costs to ship the game are around $44 and the pledge reward for the game itself would cost around $55? Note: Most publishers would reduce the International shipping cost by the same amount as the free shipping cost offered to US backers, which is currently $12. However, I am willing to offer a deeper discount on International shipping within reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
The gold standard for Kickstarter campaigns and how to handle international shipping for such is Stonemaier games - if you haven't read it already then you could try this link which details how they did it.

http://stonemaiergames.com/how-to-provide-free-shipping-worl...

'Plaid Hat' did a great job with European distribution as well on 'Dead of Winter' - I'm pretty sure they used a bulk/pallet shipped Amazon fulfilment type solution as well.

For me if the shipping cost to the UK is over $25 you might as well wait for retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
The gold standard for Kickstarter campaigns and how to handle international shipping for such is Stonemaier games - if you haven't read it already then you could try this link which details how they did it.

'Plaid Hat' did a great job with European distribution as well on 'Dead of Winter' - I'm pretty sure they used a bulk/pallet shipped Amazon fulfilment type solution as well.

For me if the shipping cost to the UK is over $25 you might as well wait for retail.

What he said... thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:

Yes, I am familiar with all of Mr. Stegmaier's articles. I have the utmost respect for his company, his founding principles, and what he has accomplished. He has definitely cracked the puzzle on many areas, concerning Kickstarter projects. However, one of the necessary steps to make his shipping solution work is to locate and work with an "Importer of Record" for VAT, which is no easy task. However, I have located a game distributor in London and I feel comfortable with the agreement we have discussed.

domus_ludorum wrote:
Charging around $25 for International shipping seems to be common on various projects. With that being said, if I were to offer to drop that to $20 would that be worthwhile to International backers interested in Hands in the Sea? The shipment of the games would also be EU-friendly with no added VAT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Australia, a few kickstarter projects have been using The Games Capital as their distribution people. I've found them great on the customer side of things, so they might be worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward J Grug III wrote:
In Australia, a few kickstarter projects have been using The Games Capital as their distribution people. I've found them great on the customer side of things, so they might be worth a look.

Robert, thank you for the information. I just sent out a message to them. I have been looking for a distribution contact in Australia for awhile now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome! Of course, I wish you luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.