Subject: A bang and a whimper. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Green
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
The setup: Baron Blade vs Fanatic, Thachyon, and Visionary in Insula Prima.

The start of the game wasn't very friendly on us. Volcanoes and multiple rivers of lava had as skipping turns and discarding cards. At various points, all three defense platforms had come out, soaking up a lot of our damage. Obisidian fields left and right forcing us to discard cards or else dealing with more damage. It wasn't nice. The environment had left us with 2 Enraged T-rex's and a Velociraptor pack out in play. They kept pounding damage on us while we were too busy occupied by Baron Blade and his minions.

Nearing the end, each hero was down to about 5 health each, whilst Baron Blade was still on around 20 life and hadn't even been flipped yet, so still had another 30 to go after that.

Not willing to quit just yet, we decided to go out with a bang and a whimper.

First up, Fanatic. She plays Wrathful Retribution. Dealing 25 points of damage, knocks out the Impulsion Beam Inventor, and flips him over to Vengeful Mad Scientist. Not a bad start.

Next, Tachyon. Lightspeed Barrage seems the logical choice. There where 10 burst cards in the trash, bringing Baron Blade to 20.

It's all up the Visionary now. Seeing the time of reckoning at hand, she musters up all the courage she has and then ... hides away in a cocoon. With 4 life left, Telekinetic Cocoon was the only power available that would keep her alive. "Hey, we can't win if we're all dead".

Between the dinosaurs and Baron Blade, both Fanatic and Tachyon get knocked out.

From her cocoon, The Visionary could only watch the carnage happening outside. First, the two T-Rexs (who attack the target with the second highest life) turned on each other, until one of them was killed off. After which, They would attacked The Visionary until a minion came out, which they would kill off before attacking the visionary again. The velociraptors do the same. Meanwhile, Baron Blade and his minions would be making there own attempts at Visionary, but to no avail. All seemed lost.

But wait, what's this? From her incapacitated state, Fanatic was giving Visionary 2 HP per round. Could this be the ray of hope? It seemed unlikely. With around 15 points of damage being attempted on Visionary per turn, it would not give her enough time after leaving the cocoon to deal any significant damage, and every turn Baron Blade would get stronger and stronger.

But then, many rounds rounds later, something happened. The Visionary's health was higher than Baron Blades! All the dinosaurs were no longer gnawing at the cocoon. They all turned and started attacking Baron Blade! Could this be the distraction I need? With the dinosaurs no longer chewing at my feet, could I survive long enough outside of the cocoon to do some good?

Actually, it's quite comfy in here, I think I might just stay, Looks like the dinosaurs are doing a good job taking care of things anyway.

Over the next few rounds, I watched from my safe position as the dinosaurs tore up Baron Blade. Yes, that would do. Turns out we weren't needed after all. Serves him right for setting up his lair in such a silly place.

Final life points
Fanatic: 0
Tachyon: 0
Baron Blade: 0
Visionary: 26

Most Valuable Player: Enraged T-Rex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And that's why I hate the cards that can permanently make you invulnerable while preventing you from doing anything. They're just boring. You often end up in situations where your best option is to sit there doing nothing and tanking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott is right. Invulnerability (such as Visionary or Nightmist's) can make some villains super easy, especially when the environment is helping out.

Just a side note, do T-rex attack each other? Or just do they just go for non-environment targets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Green
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
torontoraptors wrote:
Scott is right. Invulnerability (such as Visionary or Nightmist's) can make some villains super easy, especially when the environment is helping out.

Just a side note, do T-rex attack each other? Or just do they just go for non-environment targets?

They attack the target other then itself with the second highest HP, so indeed will attack other T-Rexs and other environment targets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Green
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
sdougla2 wrote:
And that's why I hate the cards that can permanently make you invulnerable while preventing you from doing anything. They're just boring. You often end up in situations where your best option is to sit there doing nothing and tanking.

I definitely thought this move to be rather cheesy, but figured what the heck, lets see if it works (we'd just lose otherwise).

Fortunately, it isn't always a guaranteed win... It requires a specific set of circumstances, and a villain + environment that are unable to remove ongoing cards, which a lot do in some way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it only works in certain environments and if all your other heroes are incapacitated, I'd say it's not that cheesy!

Quote:
Most Valuable Player: Enraged T-Rex

laugh
I've played a number of games where the T-Rex, Velociraptors or my personal favorite - the Kraken - wind up doing the brunt of my work for me. It's thematic and a great part of the games' genius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.