Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone

Lately I've found myself playing a couple of games on my iPad as well as playing games online.
That until I recently realized, that I don't really enjoy playing online or on my iPad against an AI.
I've been playing Pandemic, Lords of Waterdeep, Dominion and a few others, and I've grown a fear that my impression with the game on the iPad or on my laptop will carry over to the actual board game.

I have never tried a real game of Pandemic (but expect to find one wrapped up under the tree) and have only been able to get my friends Dominion to the table once, with one other player who obviously didn't get the hang of the game. - so I have no real experience with any of the games.

Dominion I actually enjoyed quite a bit at first against the AI, but after the tutorials I was ripped apart :-) But it really seems like a game I'd love and could easily get my family to play.
Pandemic however is a different matter:
After playing 10-15 games of Pandemic (mostly by myself and a few times with my girlfriend) I've realized that I just don't enjoy it as much as I would have hoped. And this is where I want your opinion!

What is your experience? Can a game be 'meh' for you on the iPad or online and still shine when you play the actual board game?
I guess having actual interaction with other living people around the table is what makes board gaming such a great thing! So I hope this worry of mine, is just silly thinking and it all turns out great, when I hopefully get the game for christmas :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game. Mostly I prefer real life though waterdeep and stone age are two I prefer iPad for expediency

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find myself buying pretty much every board game app that comes out on ipad - but then I barely play them. They can be good for learning the game. But I just find I like playing with my friends face to face too much. Even if I played them online, it just wouldnt be the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy P
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension is miles better on the iPad, I traded away my copy of the game as playing face to face with all that shuffling etc meant it was just a poor experience face to face when compared to the digital version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RHelms wrote:

What is your experience? Can a game be 'meh' for you on the iPad or online and still shine when you play the actual board game?
I guess having actual interaction with other living people around the table is what makes board gaming such a great thing! So I hope this worry of mine, is just silly thinking and it all turns out great, when I hopefully get the game for christmas :-)

I always prefer pace to face board gaming over the computerized counter part so much more because to me it's all about spending time with the family.

So yea, the IOS games are okay, but I always have more fun playing with my family than by myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've come to realize that they're very different experiences. When I'm playing on a pad, I pay less attention to what the other players are doing, I calculate less, and in general, I'm more of a casual player. I'm passing the time and enjoying myself, but not really competing. I do get through games much more quickly though, and for games like Star Realms and San Juan, playing many times helps explore lots of different strategies.

For me, I prefer playing in person, but i enjoy both experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Katielou wrote:
Ascension is miles better on the iPad, I traded away my copy of the game as playing face to face with all that shuffling etc meant it was just a poor experience face to face when compared to the digital version.

Thats interesting. I loathed the digital version. I much prefer the paper version where you are constantly shuffling, looking at the art of the cards, the honor tokens, the lovely board and the huge stack of cards. I hated the small screen and the expediency of the digital game, even though i only play the solo version with the physical copy, where the AI just takes 2 cards every turn.

I also played Smallworld and ticket to ride on my tablet, and both are meh for me. THEN i played both at a friend's house with 2 other players: night and day. The physical games were so much more fun with real players.

My experience with digital games is that they serve a last gaming resort. If i am in a situation where i cannot play (on a plane), otherwise I would always prefer to play with the physical copy, especially with solo games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play on my tablet when I have some free time and just want to get a quick game in (or when I'm having a slow period at work). I don't think I'd prefer it over the actual board, but it's nice in a pinch.

wf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.