Popular Tags: [View All]
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday a gaming buddy and I got together to play some Dreadball. This covers our first game. We both played teams we normally do not play to add some variety. I normally field humans/Corporation but decided to see if I could do any better playing the alien bugs called Z'zor (Locust City Chiefs) team. I've played them about three times now and as they're a bashy team I'm still learning a lot. My friend pulled out his space dwarf team. In the setting, the space dwarves are called Forge Fathers and their team is available as the Midgard Delvers.

He drew first turn and set up in an aggressive forward stance. Setting up close to the line with FFs isn't unusual since they move pretty much slower than any other team (4 spaces/move as opposed to the 5 spaces/move average of most other teams). What was unusual was his early deployment of strikers. Because the dwarf speed stat is so low (need to roll a 5 or 6 on any d6s rolled to succeed), their strikers are less effective than other teams' strikers. I set up a little deep so minimize his ability to slam my players while hoping to prevent him from scoring easily.

The game was characterized by my strikers getting the ball several times and pretty much failing to make good goals. I got a couple of goals but the bug strikers' drawback is their poor skill stat (which they use to shoot a goal). Many bug fans will suggest using bug jacks for scoring since their stat is at least +1 better. I'm beginning to think forward deploying jacks in the opposing team's backfield while I use strikers to feed them the ball. Have to give that a shot next game.

His strikers managed to infilrate my backfield and he came very close to scoring a landslide a couple of times. I managed to retaliate and do some damage to his team but that's only useful in the long game of a league. In short, it was a fun game and we both got to try out teams we normally don't field and learn where their strengths/weaknesses are found. Looking forward to more play (maybe even with his new Season 4 expansion) after the new year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.