Subject: Macintosh, KeePass, USB stick help. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to put Keepass Portable on a USB thumbdrive for my wife.

I downloaded
Portable version (KeePass-2.xx.zip file) to her laptop. And now I am stuck.

I read this.

"KeePass does not need to be installed. Just download the ZIP package, unpack it with your favorite ZIP program and KeePass is ready to be used. Copy it to a location of your choice (for example onto your USB stick); no additional configuration or installation is needed."

I need to know whether there is a ZIP program on her laptop and how to find if there is one or not and I need to know how to Unpack it once I find or download a ZIP program.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Stuffit Expander is free and available on the App Store. It will expand almost any compressed file.

Right-clicking on a file or folder should give you a menu that will allow you to compress selected items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
mileser wrote:
Well, Stuffit Expander is free and available on the App Store. It will expand almost any compressed file.

Right-clicking on a file or folder should give you a menu that will allow you to compress selected items.

The wife has a trackpad on her mac. So no right or left clicking. Only clicking.

Actually, the laptop does have a USB port, so I can attach my mouse and right click that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I need to download something called Mono in order for the machine to communicate with KeePass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Mono is a sort of Clayton's .NET for Mac. You might be better looking on sourceforge for a platform independent password manager (otherwise you have to install .NET or Mono everywhere you want your passwords, and that might not be possible in a library or internet cafe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found something called KeePassX. Will do some more looking into it tomorrow but this might fit the bill and be what I am looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using Dashlane for my password manager, which you can also get off of the App Store. You can export it's file to a USB key.

Automatic syncing by web is a fee service, but not necessary and if you don't do that, the software is otherwise free.

BTW, to right-click using a trackpad, hold down the control button when you click on the track pad, it works just like having a right click.

There is a way to do right click with JUST the track pad, but I can't get the hang of it, but newer macs are supposedly easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
The ability to unzip/decompress (and compress) is built right into the Mac OS nowadays. If you double click on the zip file, it should launch archive utility, and decompress it (in whatever directory it's currently in). This may not work if it's compressed using certain schemes, that's the point that something from the app store might be needed.

Also, the alternative for right click is option+click.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.