david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I know making fun of this is beating a dead horse, but check this out. This is from the DtS website.

Quote:
9/28 Hi' All' I have a couple of "updates" I would like to inform you of.
Originally when I designed "[this game]" I had envisioned an age group of 13-Adult.
I "myself" have learned a great amount from playing the game such as identifying States from a blank map, identifying States within the 5 regions, States Nicknames, flags, population and even a few States Annual Incomes!
Because I feel DTS can provide such a great learning experience (Geographic) to children, (and even adults)! I have made the following changes.

1. I have rounded off all State Deeds to even denominations making it easier for the younger players to keep up.

2. I have eliminated the terrorist cards from the Disaster cards and replaced them with additional Natural Disasters.

Because I sought out to keep DTS realistic, dominations must remain in billions. Parents can assist there children for the first few games and "in no time" they will assist there parents
The game has been tested (time and time again) with both updates with no noticeable flaws. Game time is still within specified lengths, enjoyment is still there and age group has been reduced to ages 8-Adult!
Sincerely,
[name wihtheld]

This was our advice! I, specifically, mentioned this to him, along with many others. Actually we suggested simplifying it even more than that and it's this line, "Because I sought out to keep DTS realistic, dominations must remain in billions", that gives it away that he's doing this because he realizes we were right. He can't admit that we were right or that he even got the idea from us, but he can't deny it helps the game.

I, for one, can't help but wonder if we're to see more "updates" to the game that he all of sudden just thought of all on his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumb question - what's DTS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Data Transformation Services. I've never heard anyone get so excited by it before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
DtS is the game that shall not be named. It's too evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Yim
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray, I've forgotten what the D stands for! That means I don't have to think about this anymore ... wait, what were we talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:
Data Transformation Services. I've never heard anyone get so excited by it before.

Seriously - it's graphical - I get excited everytime I see it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sauron It is the name that shall not be mentioned. sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoooooooooooo whoooooooooooooooo whoooooooooooooooooo
GRAMMAR POLICE ALERT!

Who cares if he's improving the game, I demand vengeance for the sentence "Parents can assist there children for the first few games and 'in no time' they will assist there parents".

WILL YOU EVER LEARN?!
Can't buy - bad grammar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It might be that the individual is dyslexic or some kind of foreigner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's "some kind of foreigner," all right.

shake

I love the fact that it has now become the "game that shall not be named."
Geek-offspring will terrify themselves at slumber parties by staring into a dimly-lit mirror and reciting,
"Dominate...the......I CAN'T DO IT!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Just for the record, the game is called
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Dominate the States.
Cheers,
HG

---

Skelebone: We have to at least make that a spoiler... without that, we don't have all the fun cloak and dagger stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh,
Stay tuned for his next major release,
Dominate the Provinces!
The object is to overwhelm Quebecers and Newfies with Alberta Beef!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I missed the original discussion on this. What exactly is so hateful about this game or its author?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Because I sought out to keep DTS realistic,

You know, the way you realistically buy and sell states and get money when you pass the White house.

When I was in 8th grade civics I made a board game for a project that involved the players as senators running along an outside track to advance their bills in an inside track. THAT was more realistic than this thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, your game sounds cool. Still got a copy lying around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Mishenka wrote:
I guess I missed the original discussion on this. What exactly is so hateful about this game or its author?

The game is Monopoly clone that the author hopes to sell for $40. However, given the quoted cost to print the first 1500 copies, the actual retail price should be at least $80.

At the current price, the author will be making $1-$2 off any copies sold through a distributor. Even if the entire print run sold out, there wouldn't be enough money to reprint it. Off a $20,000 investment, they would make $1500 to $3000, before other costs are factored in. The only way to make money off of the game is to sell directly.

In order to cover himself fiscally, the author has started a "dontation" effort in order to raise the cash to pre-pay his production costs. In return for donating $10, you get your name in the rulebook and the option to buy the game, once it is published, for $10 off. It is effectively a pre-order system in which people put $10 down.

The thing that pissed many people here on the 'geek is that a new user posted a message pushing the game as the next big thing and urged everyone should donate $10. What the poster didn't mention was that she was the author's wife. In other words, a text book example of shilling.

A few threads and messy private messages later, the account (and the threads that it spawned) were deleted.

Edit: I just realized that they are seeking 2000 donations and that only 1500 games will be produced. If they ever get enough donationes, it will be interesting to see how the 500 who don't get the game will react.

Mike Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.