Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally did it. Threw away all those useless cards that were sitting in a corner of my closet because "You never know". BS! I'm on to you, "You never know". You're not a very good reason for anything, but I'm catching up.

Anyway, I have all the expansions and promos, so that was quite a few cards. While I was at it, I threw away all the standard money, victory, potion, and curse cards from the base game, Intrigue, Prosperity, and Alchemy - I use the new base cards instead. That means I can't have 5 or 6 player games anymore, but I'd rather stick a fork in my eyes than play Dominion with more than 4 players. (Note: if actually given a choice, I'd probably choose the game over the eye forking, but you get my drift.)

And then I couldn't stop. I got rid of the 5th and 6th sets of Sea Side mats, and 5th and 6th sets of shelters and ruins from Dark Ages. And then I did the unthinkable: I tore down (and recycled, it's cool bro) the game boxes. All of them.

I feel great about this. The only "extra" things I kept are all 8 victory point mats from Prosperity, because they all have different art work. Also, all the blank cards, because you never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"You never know" totally snuck in the back door on those blank cards, dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When's trash day? You still have time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a rational person who, probably like you, has limited storage space I applaud your actions and say, "GOOD FOR YOU!!!"

As a, sometime, completionist gamer I say, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the horror, THE HORROR!!!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
✔️✔️❌✔️❌✔️ ➖➖➖➖
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good idea (I've got precisely the same feelings about 5-6 player games). I'll probably stick the cards I remove in a trading card box rather than dumping them, but this is a great way to make space for a future expansion without radically redoing my box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Breaking down all the Dominion boxes was one of the most satisfying days of the year. I kept every box for every set and expansion, and all the original inserts. Then, one day, gone. One giant bag of recycling later, I had so much more closet space.

Then I divided the base box into thirds with some foam core, and printed out vertical dividers. I managed to fit all the cards (kingdom cards, money, randomizers, etc.) into one base box and about half of an expansion box. I think all the kingdom cards fit into the base box, and everything else in an expansion.

Having this extra box is *killing me*. I'm really tempted to not only remove the randomizers and the 5-6 player stuff, but trim out some of my least favourite kingdom cards and stuff that box back in the closet. Having everything I need - kingdom cards, money, VP, etc. - all in one box will be amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not too shabby. I prefer to hold onto them if I have the space, and just bring what I'll need to gaming. If closet/storage space gets low, then yeah, hock 'em. An extra box here and there, an extra 2 to 3 bags worth of stuff, 50 cards here and there... they all add up.

Contrary to one gamer I met, he transfers the boards, bits and everything else into a plano box, of which if he wants to sell the game later on, the original box is still pristine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
"You never know" totally snuck in the back door on those blank cards, dude.

Believe it or not, I went back and got rid of them as well. I do like the idea of someone coming up with a really cool card that you could print off and stick on the blank cards...

But come on - we all know it's a lie. Because even assuming someone would invent something worth going through the effort of customizing a blank card, I wouldn't go through that effort anyway. Lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, I love this thread title. It's such a clever satire of sensationalist media outlets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCid91 wrote:
As a rational person who, probably like you, has limited storage space I applaud your actions and say, "GOOD FOR YOU!!!"

As a, sometime, completionist gamer I say, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the horror, THE HORROR!!!!"

I know, right? I'm all joke-y and stuff, but it is seriously hard to let go of stuff like this. Your brain is yelling at you that losing that stuff will dramatically lower the "value" of your game - whatever that means. Resale value? Completionist satisfaction? Gameplay enhancements? "All of the above", yells the brain. It is not easy to silence that voice.

And it's not even really about space for me - although that's a nice side effect. It's truly about usefulness. If I know I'm never ever going to use something, what is the point of keeping it at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this happen when I bought one of the wooden cases that were Kickstarted last year. I managed to come across one and that was my incentive. I donated all the boxes (except alchemy...because it's purple and my wife likes purple) to my FLGS because they wanted it as a display. The Alchemy box has the extra bits...I'm not gonna toss them, but will keep them for that time when someone needs them.

But that's not all!! I then decided to downsize nearly every other expansion for nearly every game in my collection into its base game box. It was LIBERATING. Not only did I create more room, I actually re-sorted a bunch of boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador C. Majoral
Andorra
Argentona, Barcelona
flag msg tools
ScoobyG wrote:
Threw away all those useless cards

How will you make the black market deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have taken/bought the spare base cards from you... I still have the base cards from the core game and intrigue in addition to the base cards with the new artwork. Lets me play up to 3 games at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salva wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:
Threw away all those useless cards

How will you make the black market deck?

The Dominion Vault app handles random kingdom setup and the black market deck content, if used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
I know, right? I'm all joke-y and stuff, but it is seriously hard to let go of stuff like this. Your brain is yelling at you that losing that stuff will dramatically lower the "value" of your game - whatever that means. Resale value? Completionist satisfaction? Gameplay enhancements? "All of the above", yells the brain. It is not easy to silence that voice.

I must have some kind of disorder, I have no problem with getting rid of inserts, useless extra stuff, expansion boxes or what have you and do it all the time. Good on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
colmmccarthy wrote:
Well, I wouldn't throw away the randomizers, as we like randomly drawing ten cards out of the pile (I assume you're using an app instead?).

You can use one card from each pile for a randomizer deck. Add it to the pile to play, return one to the randomizer deck afterwards. That's what I do with the prototype, to avoid having to print another copy of every card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clickbait headline.

Have you considered writing for BuzzFeed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
colmmccarthy wrote:
Well, I wouldn't throw away the randomizers, as we like randomly drawing ten cards out of the pile (I assume you're using an app instead?).

You can use one card from each pile for a randomizer deck. Add it to the pile to play, return one to the randomizer deck afterwards. That's what I do with the prototype, to avoid having to print another copy of every card.

Another bonus here is that you have pre-made Black Market decks. Just pull out the "randomizer" deck for one of the large sets.

However, the downside of this method is that if you want to include certain specific cards or play a specific set of 10, you have to hunt through your randomizer deck for the 10th copy of each card.

Your mileage may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The in-laws are coming for Christmas this year, and they're going to use the home office where I store the games.

Boxes will be tossed - I've already got eight games stuffed inside the Carcassonne box, and Chicago Express is actually Puerto-cago Ex-Coup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Wagner
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I long ago put all my Dominion cards in Plano boxes, but I kept all the empty Dominion boxes. They just sat in a corner, taking up space.

This year, I finally found a good use for them. I tossed the inserts, put Christmas presents in them, and then wrapped them. Lots of presents are hard to wrap and easy to guess when wrapped. Using the boxes fixes both those problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
Puerto-cago Ex-Coup.

I'd play that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
Clickbait headline.

Have you considered writing for BuzzFeed?

No, but I know this one weird trick to get GeekGold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Thunderstone, I have base game to exp #3. I keep both in the exp #1 and exp #2 boxes (rectangular, smaller than the square, Dominion box, which is also what the base game TS uses). If I delved into further expansions, I would've only carried enough cards for those 2 boxes. I'd be swapping out stuff to make room for other cards.

I've seen folks do this with Dom... only carry 30 different types of Kingdom cards, always available cards, starter decks, and their carry case is now fits inside a small box. Unless you're going to play 6+ games, it's good enough. Go home, rerandomize them. Excellent tradeoff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no control over my GG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He used one weird trick to save space - boardgamers hate him for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.