Subject: Advice from people who LIKED the first two Hobbit movies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
So should I let myself be dragged to the NINE hour wow Hobbit movie marathon with my kids tomorrow?

I know I'll enjoy the viewing part of the experience. I've enjoyed the first two nutty, fan-faction, who-knows-what-kind-of-crazy-stuff-Jackson-will-add, Rhosgbel rabbit racing films.

My concern is the physical effects on my aging body. I remember thinking my seat was getting uncomfortable at the end of the 3hrs in the first one.

Update: So went had a good time and it was no big deal on the body. Enough time between movies to get up walk around a bit, strech the kinks out of the neck etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeph Stahl
Canada
Grimsby
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.thebrickbrewery.com
badge
www.thebrickbrewery.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for it.
I did the 13h LOTR movies at the theatre. First two extended cuts followed by the premiere of RoTK.
That was 10 years ago though. You really get your moneys worth on free refills of pop and popcorn. I do remember getting sick right after though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhhh...get up more often?

I mean, if you've seen 2 of the 3 already, shouldn't be too hard to figure out when to take 'bathroom breaks' and not miss anything interesting. (Although, even if you would, you have seen it before, so...)

And for the third movie...well, there's always this for the old folks. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it. Last year, my kids and I sat through the entire LotR Extended Edition trilogy. That was 13 hours. And I'll be 50 next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That app is funny.

We did 13h LOTR one Thanksgiving at home. Don't think The kids or I could last that long in a theater...we'll do the Hobbit marathon at home too when the blu-rays come out.

What I would like to be able to do is see movies like that at midnight opening day, but 10 years later harder to do that now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still haven't seen the second one. You could really see Peter Jackson strain to stretch out the material to the unnecessarily long run time that I felt worn down (and not in the good way) at the end.

Knowing that about me, is the second one worth it? Does it improve things at all, or does it still feel bloated and padded on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
erak wrote:
Knowing that about me, is the second one worth it? Does it improve things at all, or does it still feel bloated and padded on?
Nope. Second is still bloated & padded & a pale imitation of how good the LotR movies were.
thumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
erak wrote:
I still haven't seen the second one. You could really see Peter Jackson strain to stretch out the material to the unnecessarily long run time that I felt worn down (and not in the good way) at the end.

You would probably find the second movie even less enjoyable than the first. By watching the extras on the extended DVD you realize that when they made the move from 2 to 3 movies they had to write a whole new climax scene to end the 2nd film. In the original 2 film scheme the escape from mirkwood was the action climax of that film. So they on the fly drafted the whole Dwarves/vs/Smaug in Erebor thing as the "action-climax" they feel they needed for the second film.

Having said that. The Bilbo/Smaug dialogue scenes are really great. Good actors with good dialogue. So maybe you just want to rent it and fast fwd anytime someone is running or fighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stolen from the funny pics thread (posted by Deadsider):
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I liked the addition of Gandalf confronting Sauron. It helped explain why Gandalf just up and left everyone right before the entered the most treacherous part of their journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb

Can I love the books but find the movies "sleep worthy?"

Oh, yes, go to the movies but bring a pillow and warm blanket, and maybe a sleep mask and ear plugs. You can take cat naps between the fluff.....OR you could just wake a few minutes every couple of hours to see the good stuff!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
The first movie, to me, was tolerable. Yes, it was padded out with un-needed fluff, but it was still not a terrible movie. I will say it could have done without the added "we need action!! OMG!!1!" bits.

The second movie pissed me off. Half of the runtime is devoted to straight-from-a-video-game action crap. We need orcs shooting at the barrels... for some reason! We need Legolas! We need a love story crammed in there that adds NOTHING to the story! We need to see the dwarves running around fighting the dragon! Giant gold statue!!!!! Weeeeeeee!!!! Honestly, the second movie could be cut down to about half an hour and I would probably be okay with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the extended cut of the first Hobbit movie is the best of Jackson's Tolkien movies while the second is the worst. Drew pretty much summed up why I don't like No. 2. I don't mind Jackson taking liberties with the book, it's a different medium, after all. But the second one really screwed up the timing. And yeah, those two long action sequences are terrible. Coming from one who did mostly enjoy the added action sequences in the first one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Well nine hours later, I'm glad we did it. Was surprised how much I really enjoyed seeing the first two again especially back to back. So much of the response to these movies is an internal comparing with the book, and evaluating how you feel about this or that change. Once you've processed all that in previous viewings you can now just sit back and enjoy it as film.

Third movie didn't disappoint.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Though it has some really long extended fight scenes, which, while certainly expected in the Battle of Five Armies, tends away from what I enjoy the most in the movies, which is good character dialogue. There are plenty of well done scenes, just about 45 minutes too much action/battle sequences for my particular tastes.

Seeing them all together was a neat experience. Really for all its flaws and changes, Jackson did deliver a beautiful fleshed out rendering of a classic tale, and I'm glad he came back to take us to Middle-earth twice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you had a good time!

We are planning on watching the last movie, but the only way I've been able to enjoy them is to consider them "inspired by" the book instead of based on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, buckle yourself in, Daisy May, it's time for the 72 part adaptation of The Silmarillion!

Full disclosure? I have no damn idea how to say "silmarillion." Is the first "L" silent, are the last two a "ya" sound like in Spanish? Short or long "a?" I need some help, folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
The third movie was the worst imho.
The first was fine,
the second was not as good as the first one, but still tolerable. It was pretty cool to see Smaug on the big screen.
The last movie was a mess. Even the title is wrong: It's supposed to be
"The Battle of Five Armies", not
"The Battle of the Five Armies". It just looks weird.

- The death of Smaug was an intro. (seriously, he dies before the title shows.)
- Instead of showing us the actual Battle of Five Armies, we get too much one-on-one duelling.
- Beorn is reduced to 5 seconds of screen time. (Supposedly, there's more of him in the Extended Edition)
- Too many scenes of Alfrid just to remind us that he's a jerk.
- The Tauriel story turns out to not add anything.
- A few years ago, we were told that it would also be a bridge movie leading into Fellowship of the Ring. (Scenes with Aragorn and Gollum and stuff) We got nothing of that, except Strider being mentioned at the end.

The whole things looks chaotic and gabbled together. It's like PJ almost forgot to put in the eagles.
The Hobbit trilogy is by far not as good as the Lord of the Rings trilogy. By far.

I would love a 72 part Silmarillion, btw!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
TommyP wrote:
Well, buckle yourself in, Daisy May, it's time for the 72 part adaptation of The Silmarillion!

Full disclosure? I have no damn idea how to say "silmarillion." Is the first "L" silent, are the last two a "ya" sound like in Spanish? Short or long "a?" I need some help, folks.

It's pronounced like the band Marillion.
"sil-mah-ril-jun"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Anfauglir wrote:
The third movie was the worst imho.

I would agree with this and almost all of the negatives you put in your spoiler box.

Especialy that Alfred added nothing to the film and got way too much screen time.

I did enjoy the scenes of parlay at the gate and Bilbo in the Woodelves tent with the Arkenstone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.