Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on a set of my own Fantasy Army Lists building on some that have been posted online but tailored more to my Minis and Fantasy world.

I've also taken a somewhat divergent path, trying the game switching out the 1d10 for 2d6. Starting some playtesting along that line, wondering if anyone else has gone this route and can shortcut me along?

I believe the vast majority of the game and modifiers remain unchanged with the basic unarmored AV needing to be reset accordingly. I'm starting with a setting of 8 and see how that goes. I'll probably steepen the points curve for extreme AV and ability options, otherwise I'm expecting not much will need to be adjusted.

I simply prefer a bell curve dice distribution to a straight line given the 1-10 range.

Any thoughts?

- C

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
At a glance, I would see the mathematical difference between the two to be huge. A d10 has 10 possible outcomes, all equal, 2d6 has 36, with that bell curve you mentioned. I wonder if the creators of the game play-tested 2d6 and went for a d10 instead? It would be worth testing though - let us know what you find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the difference is 'huge', though it is bell curve vs linear.

1d10 has 10 outcomes, each with an even 10% chance.

2d6 has 36 combinations but only 11 outcomes. The middle 5 outcomes of the curve covers 2/3's of the dice rolls, so your models will rolls +/- 2 of the center on 2/3's of your dice rolls. Extreme low dice rolls of -5, -4 or -3 of the midpoint will occur one sixth of the time and extreme high dice rolls of +3, +4 or +5 also one sixth of the time. I believe Skill and Armour will become more important than luck, which will make the Heroes / Monsters more Heroic but still susceptible to a sudden reversal of fortune on a bad dice roll.

First playtest session planned for tonight. I'll follow up with some first impressions tomorrow.

- C

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.