Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmb
I have the Panzerschreck magazine edition of the game, and have heard that there some differences (or variants) in the Zip edition. However, I wrote to publisher/designer Gary Graber at Minden Games, and he said the Zip edition is long out of print. He suggested I ask here on BGG if anyone can share what those variants are for the zip edition. I believe they relate to more Reserve units for French and German armies, at least.

Gary Graber wrote:
Hi Mark.
Thanks for your email and interest in 1914: OM. Yes, there are some minor differences between the Pzsk original and the Zip edition
I think it may be faster to ask for help on BGG (if you haven't tried that already). The game is not changed much, but I don't recall exactly what minor changes made it into the Zip ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Sullivan
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Mark, I'm not sure if anything changed in the full text of the rules, but here is a copy-and-paste from the Zip Edition rule book.

Thanks to Gary for giving the OK to post this here!

--------

XXI. ZIP EDITION ADDITIONAL OPTIONAL RULES

Players may use any or all of these additional optional rules.

What If? Variations: At the beginning of the game, you may roll on the Variations Table, and implement the result. Procedure: Roll two dice to determine which column of the table to use (2-12), and after this roll another die to determine the row (1-6). Examples: (1) Your two dice total is 5, and you then roll a 2 with a single die, so variation A is in effect. (2) Your two dice total is 5, and you then roll a 3 with a single die, so no variation occurs. Variations are self-explanatory, as given below.

VARIATION TABLE
dr/DR 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
1,2 I B A N C J
3,4 I G K D F I
5,6 J E M L O H B J

Variations ("blank" result means no variation occurs)
A: Add Belgian Reserve army (starts game in hex 19)
B: Add French "N' Reserve army (enters game on turn 2 in hex 84)
C: BEF may not expand during the game
D: Belgian army may not expand during the game
E: German Artillery unit is removed from the game
F: Free German passage through Belgium (Belgian army starts in Antwerp, may not move during the game, and cannot be attacked; Germans only suffer a -2 VP loss if they invade Belgium; allied units may not enter Belgium)
G: Add German "2" Reserve army (starts in any unoccupied German city)
H: Remove German Reserve army
I: Add French 6th army (starts in hex 51)
J: Remove French 1st army, replace with French "N" Reserve army
K: Do not roll on East Front Commitment Table until turn 2
L: Do not roll on East Front Commitment Table until turn 3
M: Add British Reserve army (starts in hex 9, moves to France (hex 25) the turn after the BEF does)
N: Propaganda campaign: If Germans invade Belgium, roll one die on turn 1; odd means they suffer -1 VP, and even means -2 VP (in addition to normal invasion penalty).
O: Add German 9th army (may start in East Front box, or any unoccupied German hex)

Note that allied units brought into the game via the Variation Table may not have their movement dictated by the Allied Movement Chart. In these cases, one should move these units to the allies' best advantage.

Multiple or Custom Variation Scenarios: Players may roll for more than one variation, or chose which variation (or variations) they want to play with in any given game.

Stacking Reserves: Allow two Reserve armies to stack together; they are then treated as a single regular army in all respects (e.g. they do not suffer CRT drm, they may expand, and so on).

Reserve Names/Extra Units: French Reserves are designated D (Dijon), P (Paris), N (North Africa); German Reserves are interchangeably called 1, 2, and 3. Extra units (with black square in upper left hand corner) are not used unless called for by the Variation Table, or if players want to play scenarios with them.

Free Play Solitaire: Players may play solo, but use allied movement chart as suggestions (instead of as strict rules), and play the allies as best as they can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.