Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games seem to have a similar tableau building mechanic, which i am interested in. Curious to hear thoughts on both as far as game play and replayability. I think zhanguo may have more going on as far as making decisions, which i prefer, but i fear deus may be the more enjoyable game. Unfortunately i will only be able to purchase one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Steinberg
United States
North Miami Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on getting both for the exact reason you stated. I love tableau engine building type games.

Deus seems a lot lighter in gameplay than Zhanguo. Also it's a card game at heart, so it will go faster I think than Shanguo would.

On the other hand, Zhanguo is a very meaty, very deep game. For it's "heaviness" it's practically up there with Kanban and Panamx for newest heavy games from Essen.

If you could afford it I'd get both at some point. If not able, figure out whichever would be a better game for your time frame and the enjoyment you'll get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deus is not an easy, straightforward game. It is an engine building (like 51state or so) with an element of the game also on the main board. You need to control your area plus build your engine (a little like in Levis and Clarke logic - but dont' compare the games).
Deus gives a huge possibilities to rewind the whole deck. With three players - it is easily possible to get through all the cards and reshuffle. It means that you can still get the cards that you were not expecting to get. Also, on the board - you only have one type of units that move. It is rather important for your bonuses later on.

ZG looked different enough for me - so I took it as well. Still to play - so I will not put any opinion on it.

You cannot go wrong with any of it. Both take time to learn, are complex enough to enjoy playing multiple games.

Unless you are looking for a theme then, well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zhanguo without any doubts... Deus relies to much on the luck of the draw... and that alone is a big no no for me.

Zhanguo is a good game... great choices to be made and many paths to victory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get tons of cards in deus. There are minimal luck factor, because replenishing your hand always gives you lot of stuff, too.
Play one card per hand, and offer the others!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Clarke
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
www.unhalfbricking.com
badge
EuroGamer since 1980, & online games retailer since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Deus at Essen, once one evening. I enjoyed it a lot & wanted to buy it, but did feel it was a little luck driven.

Played Zhanguo twice since & prefer it. It has more intertwining of necessary actions, though still has a luck of the draw aspect too.

Both are fine games, but I think on my limited experience Zhanguo has more potential as a long term standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I hated Zhanguo but Deus is pretty good, though obviously lighter. Both have luck of the draw but Deus gives you more ways to control your hand. Deus is a satisfying, breezy game; Zhanguo was like wading through sludge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think you can compare the two games...

I own Deus and like it a lot... but it's a lighter game... I would say it's very light medium weight game.
It has luck of the draw but it can be mitigated by the choices you make...

Zhanguo I'll be buying in my next order, I've played it and it's much much heavier game...

Not that it's complex, it's not that complex but the amount of options you have to consider when making a choice can be a bit overwhelming... there's some luck of the draw because there are cards to be drawn so, there's always luck of the draw... but that ratio is much much lower than in Deus.

Zhanguo it's a almost an Heavy Weight game (I consider it to be medium-heavy game but very close to be an Heavy game)due to the amount of options you have in your turn

I would say anyone can play Deus, even if they aren't used to play games... it's not a gateway game but it's not far from it...
Zhanguo is not a game for everyone...

So taking that into account and your group I think you can decide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well what do you expect, it's a game that has cards in it. Any game that has cards in it, there is gonna be some luck there. What makes a card game a game is what you do with those cards when you draw them and how good you react to what's thrown at you. I guess Zhanguo can't really be compared to Deus then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.