Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My first take when I looked at the tactical setup on a modular board was very similar to Sergeants Miniatures. Yea, I know you can't have a fair comparison between cardboard counters and cool looking miniatures but as far as gameplay is concerned which one is more accessible to the casual wargamer? I like the dice in HoN but using cards in Sergeants Miniatures for damage isn't that bad of an idea. Also time to setup and length of downtime and overall gametime are important to me. Any pros and cons and if you could only keep one game, which would it be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fliss
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
Damn fine soldiers, Cottonbalers by God! -- US 7th Infantry Regiment
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and enjoy both games. For my two cents worth, HoN meets your criteria better for play by casual wargamers and speed of set up. HoN plays faster than SMG DoD -- usually about an hour -- but is, as advertised, more of a Hollywood movie treatment. SMG is a more tactical presentation with its skirmish-level use of individual soldiers. Bottom line, both games are fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, I haven't played SMG, but remember a demo at a games convention. Result: my eyes glazed over - I instantly new it was too complicated for me. That's probably unfair to judge based on that, but I had 2 children in tow. I should take another look at it.

I used to enjoy very complex war games, ala Avalon Hill, but after years of playing well designed games like Memoir '44, Conflict of Heroes (CoH) etc. I now have no tolerance for a ponderous demo. HoN fits the bill perfectly between Memoir '44 and CoH in complexity.

(However, the poor job writing HoN rules was very disappointing for what was almost a perfect game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pisqueeter wrote:
To be fair, I haven't played SMG, but remember a demo at a games convention. Result: my eyes glazed over - I instantly new it was too complicated for me. That's probably unfair to judge based on that, but I had 2 children in tow. I should take another look at it.

I used to enjoy very complex war games, ala Avalon Hill, but after years of playing well designed games like Memoir '44, Conflict of Heroes (CoH) etc. I now have no tolerance for a ponderous demo. HoN fits the bill perfectly between Memoir '44 and CoH in complexity.

(However, the poor job writing HoN rules was very disappointing for what was almost a perfect game).

Don't want to hijack the thread but SMG is really a very low complexity game. There is a lot of depth built into the system but it really isn't complex. Conflict of Heroes is more complicated than SMG.

That being said, it does take quite a bit of set-up time and there are a few rules ambiguities that need to be addressed.

It is also a better game to have someone teach you than learning it yourself. That removes a lot of the seemingly complicated aspects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is heck of a lot cheaper for one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.