Sultans of Karaya» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Anyone up for Sultans Play by Forum? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been enjoying playing 2 Rooms and a Boom by Forum here and wondered about Sultans.

I'm hoping to run the game in January.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Id be interested to try. I have no idea how it would work since seating arrangement is vital. Count me in though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:
Id be interested to try. I have no idea how it would work since seating arrangement is vital. Count me in though.

I just played the 27th Passenger: A Hunt On Rails here and seating is critical there, and I'm currently playing Junta by Forum and turn order is easily run.

So Tim, you're player 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I subscribed because I know you have good taste, Sam.

How complicated are the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Weldon
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran a game of it on the Something Awful forums back when it first came out to promote it. What I did was make a separate Google spreadsheet for each player in which I could give them the results of their peeks/swaps (and for them to record all the info they wanted to record... the memory aspect disappears online; I assume everyone's going to be writing down where all the cards they've seen are anyway, so might as well make it easy for them). Then I had a separate spreadsheet for myself with the seating order and who has what card and so forth.

It's a bit of a pain and doesn't work quite as well in a forums format as some other party games. But still worthwhile playing I think.

Thanks for doing this, by the way. I'd be interested in playing too if you think people would welcome the chance to play with the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Weldon
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:

The core is very simple: on your turn, you either look at someone else's card, swap cards with someone, or flip your card face up to use your current character's special power.

Rebels want to kill the Sultan or get three Slaves sitting side by side to start a revolt. Loyalists either want to reach a state where a Rebel win is impossible, or reveal the Sultan and keep him alive for one full turn.

The complicated part is the individual characters and their powers, and the occasionally fiddly interactions between them, but online that's less of a big deal since you can consult the instructions easily whenever you need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
I subscribed because I know you have good taste, Sam.

There are some little bits which are confusing (ie it took us 5 games to get it right) but pretty straight forward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.