Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
88 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » NSW (Sydney)

Subject: Boardgamers in the Inner city! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: australia [+] [View All]
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Jamie - 300+ games is a LOT of games to have sitting around played or unplayed! I'm the owner of only a tiny collection of 2 recently purchased euro board games (Caylus, Thurn & Taxis) and a few card games (Bohnanza, Jambo, San Juan) but I'm also looking for players as my girlfriend and others think I'm a geek and refuse to talk to me on the subject - although I think she secretly likes the card games.

I also live not far from you in Stanmore. On the negative side, I'm a grumpy, 40 something pommie man city fan...if that scares you say no more...

Anyway, I've just last week been messaging with
'smittenkitten' (see the other posts for Sydney), who is looking to play eurogames (I think she has hundred's of them as well), and she suggested Tin Soldier on Thursday nights and also a gaming group she belongs to in Chatswood.

This could be a good place to start and maybe move to another venue later if things work out, etc. If you can make it to TS on Thursdays let me know. I think they allow you to play there any week night so if Thursday is no good we could arrange a time more suitable for all of us.

Look forward to hearing from you
Cheers
G

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also am inner city looking for gamers! I do stand up comedy so work is when it is so a regular night will be impossible for as long as I can forsee. But that said a "once a month" on a pre determined date should be possible. As it stands at the moment though I can't get out on thursdays for a bit. Will keep up with the posts here and let you know when I just might finally be able to come out. Or failing that get you all down to a show and crack open some boxes afterwards

Here's hoping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK great - that's a possible 4 players with 3 of us that look like we can get to Tin Soldier on Thursday nights to start things off. Hopefully Tommy can make it at a later date. I can make it this Thursday 5th around 5pm what about you guys?

As for games, it's probably best to play those where someone knows the rules although I think Jenny knows at lot of them already! I can bring along Caylus and Thurn/Taxis but I've know idea how to play them.

I'd love to try out Tigris & Euphrates, Ra, El Grande, Louis XIV and anything Roman, but leave it up to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Hogan
Australia
Wamboin
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also live in Glebe and am keen to find some new people to play boardgames with. I can make it to TS at 5pm on Thursday and although I haven't tried many of those games you suggested, I am happy to learn something new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Hogan
Australia
Wamboin
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a copy of Axis and Allies once but looking at the rules and stuff it didn't look as good as Shogun so I never got around to playing it. Shogun is great fun but you do really need at least 3 players for it to be worthwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Love to play RoR but yes due to playing time probably some another time - Conquest of the Empire sounds interesting - and I see you have Mare Nostrum, Warrior Knights, and Power Grid which I'd be interested in trying out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun tonight! I may be able to make next thursday...but even if/when I can it most likely won't be until 7pm or so as I would have to wait for my wife to get home to take over the kids.

But if you are in the mood for "pre" introductions...I will be on the radio tomorrow (friday) from 5:30pm til 6 on 702am. A regular friday segment on Richard glovers Drive program that I am on quite often. Lets you know what I sound like anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK, smittenkitten (the contact for Tin Soldier) said she can't make it tonight either, so I may just pop-in for 10 mins to 'take a look' and see how nerdy it all feels, or I feel, esp when asking 40-50yr old blokes in black "The Who" t-shirts if I can play games in their store... Don't blame me if it's all too scary and I break and run for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Triffitt
Australia
Five Dock, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pity I just stumbled across this! Tin Soldier's having game nights on Thursdays?!? - pity I'm otherwise engaged tonight - I'll have to check with my wife whether I can get along to other sessions.

I have a fair collection of games (just got Fairy Tale which I'm eager to try out.) Check my collection and let me know if there's anything you guys are interested in.

BTW - I live in Five Dock - technically still inner city. Kinda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Hogan
Australia
Wamboin
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't online today so I didn't see that plans had changed a bit. I was in the TS from just before 5 and it looked like everyone was painting minatures or playing games with them. There didn't look to me like anywhere obvious to play boardgames (without clearing out a lot of crap). I also didn't see anyone who looked like they were any of you (not that I have much idea what any you look like) so I left about 5.30 or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was there today ...was doing abit of warmachine before I left. - sorry I wasn't being clear in the Pm's.

Will see all those coming there next week . I'll bring Thurn&Taxis for coxy-fc to try out.

edit: Terry, there is space, all that crap got placed there because we were wargaming Anyway I'll have to talk to management because those damned Confrontation players have started spreading like the plague and every week they keep hogging more and more tables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi - my copy of Thurn arrived yesterday so no need to bring yours Terry sorry about the change of plans, I had a quick look in myself but decided not hang around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd be interested in Power Grid and Puerto Rico for sure. As long as its not Carcassone I'm happy with whatever. BTW I found this on the website of Sydney Games Centre in Burwood:

Saturday Sampler:
When: Every single Saturday from 11am.
What: Meet up with fellow boardgamers and play a different game each week.
Entry: Free!

As I'm free for a couple of hours tomorrow I might pop in around 11.30 to check it out. They apparently supply plenty of euro games on the premises but I'll take Thurn with me just in case. If anyone's interested come along.

BTW I only have email/web access at work mon-fri if you want to contact me.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everytime I've been to Burwood the tables have been full of MTG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes that's right I got there late but it was full of kids playing MTG or something.snore

I was thinking Petersham RSL has a large comfortable room upstairs with tables at one end where people play cards or chess, etc and easy access to cheap food and drink. If anyone's interested we could meet up there on odd weekends, say starting this Sat or Sun from 11am?

Otherwise see you at TS Thursday assuming tables are available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Hogan
Australia
Wamboin
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So are you still aiming for 5pm this Thursday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
les kramer
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a gaming group on the first Saturday of each month at Paddington RSL from 10am - 6pm. Originally just involved ASL players but over the last year it has become about 50% multiplayer board games as well e.g. Here I Stand, TI3, Napoleonic Wars, Ticket To Ride, Die Macher. Usually between 10-20 players present and most games are organised before the day, but there is usually room for extras.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sauceybugger wrote:
I can not make Thursday, and as T.S. is not open past 5.00 otherwise, is anyone up to meet at my place on Wednesday avro/night?!?!

Sorry, can't make it Wednesday night. What about this weekend? I usually have Sat free from 11am to 3pm or Sunday from 12 to 4!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lesk wrote:
There is a gaming group on the first Saturday of each month at Paddington RSL from 10am - 6pm. Originally just involved ASL players but over the last year it has become about 50% multiplayer board games as well e.g. Here I Stand, TI3, Napoleonic Wars, Ticket To Ride, Die Macher. Usually between 10-20 players present and most games are organised before the day, but there is usually room for extras.

Thanks, if I can't get something going locally I may join up. What are the contact details?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
les kramer
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a web page

http://users.tpg.com.au/mmjm/beardate.htm

and yahoo mailing list

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/asl-au/

As I said, we started as an ASL group but have been migrating to other games over the last few years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks - I've not played ASL but have played similar wargames years ago and enjoy Combat Mission on pc. Although these days I'm more interested in the 'other' strategy type games you mentioned such as the Age of Napoleon and any stuff like, 'Sword of Rome', Britannia, and euro games, etc etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Hogan
Australia
Wamboin
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well doesn't look like tonight at the TS is a goer then so I'll give it a miss. Weekends are normally good for me but this weekend not really possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks like I'm the only one left so it's another cancellation. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
sauceybugger wrote:
I am trying to think of anything I own that is pub suitable(Water proof & not too many small bits and quick)

Try the pub-friendly tag:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/tagutils.php?action=viewtag&tag...

If you find anything else beerproof, please tag it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.