Brandon Neff
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6-Jun-1944

Mein Diary:

A glorious victory for the Third Reich! Our foe, a rag-tag cluster of paratroopers were no match for superior German will and fighting spirit.
The invasion we have long feared and anticipated has arrived. The Allied Navy pounded us overnight with their heavy guns for many hours and destroyed our 75mm gun battery along with nearly 50 brave soldiers and a trusted Lieutenant. We knew the Allies would come at us on foot at some point and we were prepared. I had several spotters in the tallest buildings of this abandoned French town and at around 0545 the first paratroopers were visible, running through the bocage east of our position. They wanted what was ours and we gave them death. Every inch of ground they gained was paid for in blood. The first platoon of paratroopers managed to evade fire but by the time the next platoon scrambled into view we were ready and showed them no mercy. Of course, I am not a killer or a madman (although I often think we are led by those who are truly mad), but these men would show me no quarter were our roles reversed. I do not delight in bloodshed, but I do not cringe from it either, when necessary.
Soon another group, I estimate roughly 100 men, charged at us from the northeast. We fired at them, but were unable to deter their charge. Instead we set ourselves to the dirty work of war-craft and I ordered my fearless grenadiers to force the Allies from their positions. They fought back, naturally, and were crushed under our heels. Caught in a deadly trap and their leaders ineffective and demoralized, the Americans retreated having lost over 50 men while we sustained little if no casualties.
If this is all the Allies can muster, perhaps we can still win this war!

Personal Notes:
This was a disaster from the opening shots. The Americans were fortunate in that the Navy had leveled the playing field, but my attempt to force a two-front battle did not play out as I had planned. Hoping to draw the enemy opportunity fire and allow other units to approach unscathed did work, but every attempt to assault was met with casualties and/or severe morale loss.
The German strategy, sit tight in a well-defensed town, played out remarkably well.
I played this out for 9 turns before realizing that the Germans had actually won this on the third turn (the Americans had sustained two step losses at that point). Reinforcements might have helped as would some offboard artillery. Barring that, I need to re-evaluate my tactics while playing the American side. I tend to rush in and assault and perhaps I should develop more patience and let the enemy make a mistake before committing the paratroopers to the attack and subjecting them to hellish opportunity fire.

A rules question: I have allowed a unit in a town to have LOS to a unit in hedgerow terrain as per the LOS elevation rule. Am I doing this correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.