Subject: Grimnak CHOMPS way to unbelievable comeback rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Williams
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday night I played against my 7-year-old daughter, who is an excellent reader, and now that we've played several times she has no problem handling the Master rules -- sometimes I have to remind her of her special powers, and I don't try to maximize my powers to the limit. We played Winter Holdout on Forsaken Waters, and we went with a larger points value than what the game calls for (550 instead of 300).

Her army:
Charos
Morsbane
Syvarris
Roman Legionnaires
Roman Archers
Marcus Decimus Gallus

We started Charos with 2 wound markers (7 life left) because her army as it stood was worth 615. I figured this put it at a little over 550.

My army:
Grimnak
Tornak
Sudema
Brunak
Blade Gruts
Arrow Gruts

550 points exactly.

The game started off with me using Orc Champion Bonding to move Tornak and the Blade Gruts forward quickly, and I was able to get the Glyphs for +1 attack and +2 move. I brought the Arrow Gruts up to back up the Blade Gruts. My daughter moved Charos, Morsbane and Syvarris forward, and early on she managed to inflict one wound on Tornak with a long-range shot by Syvarris.

I sent three of my Blade Gruts running around Charos (using their Disengage power) to get at Morsbane, while the fourth Grut stayed on the Glyph for +1 attack. Morsbane held his own, though, and even though his Negation skill didn't work, he killed one Grut and only suffered two wounds. Charos turned around and ate another Grut, and my Arrow Gruts (who got +2 attack for elevation and the Glyph) only caused one wound to the big green dragon.

I charged Tornak forward (move 9 with the +2 Glyph, but he left the movement Glyph in the process) to attack Syvarris, and inflicted two wounds on the elf archer. My daughter used Morsbane to kill off my third Blade Grut, and she brought her Roman archers forward and fired an Arrow Volley that killed one of my Arrow Gruts. Tornak hit Syvarris for two more wounds, killing him.

Then I really started getting slaughtered.

I charged Morsbane with Tornak, but only inflicted two more wounds. Morsbane missed Tornak, but successfully Negated his powers for the rest of the game. That wouldn't be very long, as the Roman Archers fired another Arrow Volley, taking Tornak's last two lives and finishing him off. The Roman Legionnaires used their Warlord Bonding power to move both Marcus and themselves forward, and Marcus' Soldier Leadership allowed all four of the soldiers to move an extra space. Soon, the Romans were going to overrun my three remaining Gruts. My Arrow Gruts inflicted one more wound on Charos.

I had Brunak scoop up Sudema with his Carry power and rush forward, dropping her in front of him and in range to try to turn Charos or Morsbane to stone. Before she could do that, however, Morsbane rolled his Negation attack and got a 20, destroying Sudema instantly. A Legionnaire charged in and tried to attack one of my Arrow Gruts, but the elevation advantage helped me, and my Arrow Grut killed him instead on my turn.

The Roman Archers inflicted two wounds on Brunak with another Arrow Volley, leaving him with just one, and then Brunak charged Charos and inflicted one wound on him, leaving him with four. Marcus charged in and finished off Brunak, and then Charos flew up next to the Arrow Gruts and killed one. I used Orc Champion Bonding to move Grimnak forward and also tried to get my one remaining Blade Grut out of the way, abandoning the Glyph for +1 attack.

Charos ate my last Arrow Grut, and I moved both Grimnak and my last Blade Grut again -- this time to attack Morsbane, but he missed. Even at a lower elevation, Morsbane dispatched my Grut, and as Grimnak closed in on them, the Roman Archers fired one more Arrow Volley, causing two wounds to Grimnak.

At this point, all I had left was Grimnak, with 3 lives left. My daughter had 3 Roman Archers, 3 Legionnaires, Charos with 4 lives left, Morsbane with 2 lives left, and Marcus without a scratch on him. I assumed this would be over very quickly, and my daughter had a very satisfied look on her face. Then things got weird.

Grimnak charged in and automatically Chomped one Roman archer, then killed another the old-fashioned way. No more Arrow Volleys! Her last archer failed to hit Grimnak, who stepped forward and Chomped him, too.

Morsbane failed to Negate Grimnak's powers, and Grimnak proceeded to run over and Chomp a Roman Legionnaire, then kill another one. Marcus inflicted one wound on Grimnak, who then Chomped the last Legionnaire and failed to wound Marcus. Morsbane attacked but did no damage, and Negation failed again. Charos charged in and inflicted one more wound -- just one life left for Grimnak.

Grimnak succeeded in Chomping Charos (rolled an 18), then failed to wound Morsbane. Marcus couldn't hit, and then got Chomped (17). Morsbane missed and again failed to Negate, and with one final Chomp (19) it was all over.

My daughter took it pretty well -- she's beaten me before, which I reminded her about -- and I promised her there'd be another game on Sunday. She said she wants Grimnak next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Williams
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, good point, thank you.
Grimnak could have chomped everyone except Charos, but that would have almost certainly reversed the outcome. I'll let my 7-year-old know that she probably should have won.

She played against my 9-year-old daughter this morning, using the same armies as last night, and the 7-year-old won. She had Marcus, 3 Legionnaires and 2 Roman Archers left when she killed the last Arrow Grut. Highlights were Sudema turning Charos to stone (the 9-year-old really enjoyed that) and Morsbane negating Grimnak's powers (the 7-year-old was glad to see Chomp go away). She kept her Legionnaires around Marcus at the end and killed off Tornak and the last of the Gruts. She was pretty jazzed about it.

During the game, the 9-year-old said, "This is fun!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.