Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just curious if you guys had to answer this question, what you would say.

What commodity would you say the red cubes represent?
etc

Looking at the color codes of the stations, etc.

Red=Wheat/Food?
what=Wood
what=Coal

etc ?

I want to see your interpretations based on the colors of the various stations and cubes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What commodity would you say the colored cubes represent
It's pretty hard to say since the cubes end up distributed randomly, yeah?

For comedy reasons, my fiance told me:

Purple--grapes
red--meat
blue--water
yellow--lemons
black--caviar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lol

BUT, BUT...the cubes are needed by color, at certain locations and that part is not random. So what would NY need the most? Chicago? etc
Whatever color they need the most, that would be the best clue on telling you what each cube represets. haha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, I hadn't thought of the needs of the cities being static...

But Boston needs lemons, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Even though goods(cubes) are transported TO cities.... it could be just a mechanic. The colour of a city could easily represent instead what a city produces.

Just imagine that whenever you take a cube and you move it from Providence to Boston it could just as easily be representing a cube moving the other way.

Why would the designer do that? Imagine if the game had been designed with the cubes moving in the intuitive common sense direction (from the place they are produced to where they are consumed). For example Savannah produces Cotton(lets say purple cubes): in that case you would put 3 purple cubes on Savannah then you would have to transport them to some random cities decided by die rolls or something. One of the brilliant ideas of RRT and AoS is this reversal of direction of goods movement. Generally goods of a type are produced in large quantities in a few cities and sold all over the place. In RRT and AoS its instead goods are produced in all sorts of random cities (where the cubes appear) and are then concentrated in a few cities that consume them. Brilliant game mechanic.

Even if you assume a reversal of direction of goods movement, I still don't see any correspondence between cube colours and actual historically transported goods. I think the colour are distributed sort of evenly around the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duglis wrote:
BUT, BUT...the cubes are needed by color, at certain locations and that part is not random. So what would NY need the most? Chicago?

The red cities are major ports. The red cubes are some sort of export good. Probably not beef, which was not a major export in the pre-refrigeration days being simunlated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PURPLE: Parrots
RED: Robins
BLUE: Bluetits
YELLOW: Chaffinches
BLACK: Blackbirds

Railroad Tycoon is actually about the illegal trafficking of birds throughout the USA to violent and evil bird owners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:

Even if you assume a reversal of direction of goods movement, I still don't see any correspondence between cube colours and actual historically transported goods. I think the colour are distributed sort of evenly around the map.

Good way to think about it. Note that in the economic model of all the games of the "Early Railroads" family, moving a cube should not be considered making an actual delivery (if it was you should get an immediate payout in money, not a permanent increase in your income). A cube movment should rather be considered as setting up a contract to delivery that good over that route for the rest for the rest of the game. Income Reduction in Age of Steam or the reduction of income seen on the Railraod Tycoon scoring track represents (along with taxes and loss of effecency due to company size) the expiration of those contracts, abstracted out in such a way as to not require remembering what they are or when they were made.

Your reversal idea fits this model very well. Thus the color of the city represents the goods produced there and a cube in a city represents a demand for that good. Removing the cube represents making a delivery contract to satisfy the demand. Even the Western Links work with this; think of it as manufactured goods flowing west and not as raw materials flowing east.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb

purple -> cloth (Caylus)
red -> uranium (PG)
blue -> favor (AoM)
yellow -> gold (Caylus)
-> garbage (PG)
black -> oil (PG)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Tuxbury
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SHAZAM!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jolly Ranchers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what we decided-

PURPLE: Wood
RED: Foodstuffs
BLUE: Coal
YELLOW: Cloths
BLACK: Metals

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played a game and almost the whole south was covered with blue cubes. So we decided it must be jeans.
cotton>cloth>blue jeans. Yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
Yesterday we played a game and almost the whole south was covered with blue cubes. So we dicided it must be jeans.
cotton>cloth>blue jeans. Yeah.

lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're medical organs and tissues. Duh.

Purple=Livers
Red=Blood
Yellow=Urine samples
Blue=Eyes?
Black=Smoker's lungs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
PURPLE: Wood
RED: Foodstuffs
BLUE: Coal
YELLOW: Cloths
BLACK: Metals

When I explained the game earlier today, I used those examples, because my players would never buy that they were only shipping "colors"! However I swapped blue and black because they would have surely never bought "blue coal" while there was clearly a black ressource! I still got some pretty weird looks for the purple wood (did I just write that?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Riffel
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think red cubes are people like workers, passengers in general. They migrates to the big cityes.meeplemeeplemeeplemeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are all of the cubes of the same commonality, or are there fewer black cubes (as in AoS)?

FWIW, the games in the Early Railways Series actually did list thematic items to represent the colours, based on the individual maps.

Hence, for instance, in New England Railways, the green goods were cotton, the yellow were coal, red foodstuffs, and blue manufactured goods, with blue and green being more common than the other two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this figured out, finally. The cubes don't represent the goods at all, they represent the demand for goods. That's why there's more in the larger cities. Production is represented by the colors on the cities. Gray cities are non-exporting. That's why New Industry adds a color while city growth just adds cubes. If the cubes were goods and the colors demand those cards would have the opposite effects. When you "deliver a cube", you're actually delivering goods in the opposite direction from what it appears you're doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
pilight wrote:
I have this figured out, finally. The cubes don't represent the goods at all, they represent the demand for goods. That's why there's more in the larger cities. Production is represented by the colors on the cities. Gray cities are non-exporting. That's why New Industry adds a color while city growth just adds cubes. If the cubes were goods and the colors demand those cards would have the opposite effects. When you "deliver a cube", you're actually delivering goods in the opposite direction from what it appears you're doing.
Oi ya make me 'ead 'urt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just loving this game! But count me among those who enjoy shipping actual goods rather than just colors. To make the goods less abstract, we assign them as follows:

blue = mail/passengers
black = coal
yellow = grain
purple = iron
red = cattle

In this way the cube colors more or less match the color of what they represent. Based on my light research, it seems that these were all goods that were transported by rail in the era that the game represents. Lumber is the other option that would be true to the time. Petroleum/oil would not really be appropriate, because it represents a later era, with wooden tank cars used for the first time only in 1865.

For other ideas, also see these previous threads:
What do the various colored cubes represent?
Do the blue cubes represent cotton candy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.