Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing the horde mode mission last night and we were a little unsure of how to handle killing the last monster during the locust activation using the guard ability.

Whenever the last monster is killed on each stage, that triggers the next stage of monsters, you must reshuffle the AI decks and add new monsters to the map, etc.

If a COG killed the last monster during that COG's turn, we reset the map and that COG finished his turn, then we activated the AI.

Question:
If we killed the last monster during the locust activation phase then we reset the map and spawn new monsters, do those monsters activate during that same COG's locust activation phase, or does the next player start his turn first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norwegian Singbird
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Based on this thread (answer at the end), the newly spawned locusts probably would activate. The situation seems similar enough to the one in the thread. I simply played they don't activate, though, because that would make me want to wait and heal even more for the next wave (which is annoying). If you find the horde mode too easy, it might make it more difficult if you get unlucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We saw the FAQ about the wretch, but that wretch is coming into play when there is already a wretch locust activation card in play. While we agreed that it was the most likely outcome, the card rules tell you to replace the monsters and reshuffle the AI deck, so there would be no "Active" activation card in play at the time.

This doesn't necessarily mean that your interpretations aren't correct, I guess we were curious, in this instance, of when the locust activation step is complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well from stage 2 to 3, they are replaced with completely new monsters. That would then leave AI cards active that don't have corresponding monsters, then would the activation phase end?

But they tell you specifically to take out all the AI cards that don't have monsters associated with them and shuffle all the discarded ones.

What your suggesting sounds more like a house rule.

edit: this response was to a post that was deleted for some reason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Pilf
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
the card rules tell you to replace the monsters and reshuffle the AI deck, so there would be no "Active" activation card in play at the time.

Although you would replace all the cards, and create a new AI deck, the current Activation Phase is already in full swing, and is merely put on hold, or paused, whilst the games status is updated.

Therefore I would rule the characteristics of the last played AI card would remain constant until the end of the current players turn; and resume play from where you left off once the new deck was formed and any new Locust were put into play, even though the card was discarded along with the others.

It just means you'll have to use any number of methods remember what the last cards AI was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So then if I killed the last wretch during a players locust activation phase and it spawned all new monsters of which the wretch was not one, you would rule that the locust activation phase is then complete and it goes to the next players turn?

But if it spawned new monsters and the wretch is from the set of new monsters, all those wretches get to activate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Pilf
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
So then if I killed the last wretch during a players locust activation phase and it spawned all new monsters of which the wretch was not one, you would rule that the locust activation phase is then complete and it goes to the next players turn?

Yes. Upon resuming play the cards text is still active, although the actual card itself has now been discarded. Luckily there are no further AI instances to resolve.

mustardayonnaiz wrote:
But if it spawned new monsters and the wretch is from the set of new monsters, all those wretches get to activate?

Yes. If the map spawns a new bunch of 'X' Locust, and the discarded AI card had instructions to move that particular 'X' Locust, the game resumes from where you left off, with the discarded cards AI still in effect.

Although the card has been discarded, the game continues from where you left off. You can't cancel, or ignore, an effect that was already in mid swing before the pause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.