Evan Beach
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we played and completed our second game of Ti3 this weekend. We had 4 returning players, and 2 new players and the length clocked in around 9 hours (plus map building and rules review). We were playing with: SE Strategy Cards (Red Tape Bureaucracy, Assembly III for Political Intrigue), Flagships, Wormhole Nexus, Racial Tech, & Artifacts.

Races and positions were as follows:

1: Embers of Muatt [4 VP]
2: Universities of Jol Nar [6 VP]
3: Ghosts of Creuss [9 VP] - Me!
4: Sardakk N'orr [6 VP]
5: The Winnu [2 VP] - New
6: The Yssaril Tribes [7 VP] - New

Summary
The Embers were able to get a second war sun out quick but our galaxy was planet sparce (all open spaces around Mecatol besides 1 planet near Muat). As a result the Yssrail invaded with devastating force and the embers were contained to three planets surrounded by red hexes. The Embers and Winnu forged an alliance quick, which enabled this quick strike.

I had resource weak planets but a lot of influence, however was far away from any wormholes. I used an action card (flanking speed) to attack my ally (Sardakk N'orr), after giving him heads up, to jump into the Nexus and start building my unassailable fortress. (By the way, if the Ghosts get the Nexus, it is super good!!).

Jol Nar and I were working together for a while, as I was weak on ships on the board due to my push and he had shot out quickly to take Mecatol and was now worried about the increasing hostile embers (imagine a cornered injured creature lashing out).

The Red Tape version of Bureaucracy made the game feel slow, and not many players fully realized how to use the card (I took the card easily the most, Ysarill the 2nd most), I felt. I was able to chose the objectives that helped me the most and made it hard for other players to get, pretty interesting card honestly. I made a strike from the wormhole with a large force and poked around winning space battles, and beating ground forces (assuming my force would be eventually wiped out, it never was). On the last turn, everyone was worried about the Ysarill, as they had just taken over the Winnu (alliance was brutally shattered) and Ember's home system for 2VP and at the end of the round would be able to claim a 5 tech of the same color 2VP victory, but I was able to quickly capture an artifact for 1VP and then use the Bureaucracy card to free up an objective and spent 6 command counters for 2VP and the win!

Variant Thoughts:
- I personally really liked the Red Tape card, but felt it slowed the game down a lot for my tastes, a lot of turns people had completed objectives, but couldn't claim due to red tape. Still not sure how I feel about that. I think next game we try Imperial II.

- We used a trimmed Political Deck, which still didn't have many important laws show up, and the political intrigue option. I liked the PI option, but felt it bogged everything down too much. Outside of the first round, nobody even thought about using promissory notes, probably because the laws were not super relevant, and nobody wanted to stir the pot very much unfortunately. Still not sure on how to fix politics in this game, sigh.

- Flagships, Artifacts, and the Nexus are all great fun! Don't add too much complexity and, especially Artifacts, make the game move quick.

Rule Question - Can you use a transfer action through a wormhole?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Hi there,

In my next home game we'll be using PI for the first time. Im having second thoughts about it, Im not sure that adding reps will make the political part of TI3 more interesting enough to justify the increase in play time. In your next gamme will you be removing PI and just use Assembly 1?

Did you use Mercs?

Nice win, Ive used the Ghosts but found them underwealming and too slow to expand. We also ruled the Nexus cant be used as a safe haven for them. I can see if you can take the nexus it is a great spot to expand from with RAW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radoslaw Lewandowski
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBeach0 wrote:
Rule Question - Can you use a transfer action through a wormhole?

From TI3 Rulebook:
"A system containing one end of a Wormhole is considered adjacent (even for the purposes of a transfer action) to a system containing another end of its Wormhole type (Alpha or Beta)"

But from FAQ:
"Q: When are systems containing matching Wormholes considered adjacent?
A: These systems are considered adjacent for movement purposes only (including Transfer Actions). This means that you cannot fire PDS cannons through, annex planets through, or use the Integrated Economy technology through."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Beach
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:

In my next home game we'll be using PI for the first time. Im having second thoughts about it, Im not sure that adding reps will make the political part of TI3 more interesting enough to justify the increase in play time. In your next game will you be removing PI and just use Assembly 1?

We are trying to sort that out now. We will likely not use PI next time we play, since for us we never really got much use out of it. That being said, I think you guys should use it and see if your group enjoys it. Each group plays totally different, and we just didn't get much out of it, unfortunately.

Lowecore wrote:
Did you use Mercs?

Nope.

Lowecore wrote:
Nice win, Ive used the Ghosts but found them underwealming and too slow to expand. We also ruled the Nexus cant be used as a safe haven for them. I can see if you can take the nexus it is a great spot to expand from with RAW.

We talked about that and ultimately decided against it for a few reasons.
1) Its the group's responsibility to prevent the Ghosts from getting to the Nexus, I had to stretch super far and was very vulnerable for two turns as a result. Thank god my allies didn't attack me.
2) Malice has a resource value of 0, even with technology (Sarween Tools?) that only lets you produce 3 units a turn, which doesn't make it a very good production planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Beach
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the rule clarification kiminoboku!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.