Subject: Dead accounts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pɹɐɥɔᴉɹ
England
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Careful. There is a minefield around here.
badge
BANG!! Don't step on the mines!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I would check out the Users by Country feature, and for good measure see who was in the same town as me. Perhaps I could find some new gaming buddies.

So, I checked out how many gamers game from my town.

All those new potential fellow geeks. Locally. Brilliant!

But then my ardour cooled somewhat as I examined the data. Of those 42 only 16 have logged in this year. Also there were several apparent duplicate accounts, where the real name was the same. Many of the rest seem to be "dead" accounts, logged in once perhaps.

Cleaning out these dead accounts could be an emotive topic and would of course reduce the headline figures of how many people use the Geek. Let alone the auto-generated Afghan spam addresses: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=flag&count... and others which never were real user accounts.

Would it be appropriate to ask those geeks who may have a skeleton in the closet in the form of a dead account in their name to come forward and volunteer their obsolete accounts for destruction. Perhaps for some small reward?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no idea I had a duplicate account until I clicked on the flag icon. This is it: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/KengHo
Unfortunately, messages to BGG admins has not resulted in the duplicate account being deleted.
Perhaps someone will notice it here and do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
42!?!?! The answer to the ultimate question!!! You've done it!!! You've given life new meaning for all beings!!! Congratulations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Garbanzo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently logged in for the first time in well over a year (though I would browse without logging in from time to time), and was *thrilled* that my account still existed.

Just to weigh in from the point of view of a recently "resurrected" account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.