Rivals for Catan» Forums » Variants

Subject: Rivals for Catan -- A small collection of house-rules to try out! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus Myren
Norway
flag msg tools
Hello there.

I have over the past year spent most of my time studying with friends but as we all know, this can get boring and we all need some time off sometimes.

Having played Rivals for Catan, more than I care to remember, we started to experiment a little on variations that could mix things up.

Below is the results of what our geeky The Fellowship of Catan group came up with.

====================================================
====================================================

------------------------------------
[1] Playing with face-up stacks.|
------------------------------------

Adds a bit of strategy, pretty simple.
When selecting a card from a stack by paying 2 resources, only the top three cards are revealed. Paying an extra gold reveals the top five instead.

-------------------------------------------------------
[2] Allow players to move buildings / units / etc.|
-------------------------------------------------------

Self-explanatory, makes kingdom management easier.
A player is allowed to move a building if they pay half the cost, rounded up, with one of the resources being a gold. You may also move a city / metropolis with its city attachments if you pay in gold + 1 for each attachment. Example: A city costs five resources, three stone + two wheat. You pay three gold to move the city, and an extra gold if you have used one or more city spaces, to move the city over another settlement.

A player may also remove redundant buildings they no longer want by placing it in the discard pile. They also receive one resource of their choice which was used in the construction of the building, except gold. (The workers need the gold as payment for tearing it down.) Optionally, the player may pay one gold and place the building under a matching stack of cards.

------------------------------------------------------------
[3] Being able to swap regions. Handy but expensive.|
------------------------------------------------------------

A player may choose to swap a region for the hefty price of all its resources. Say you got a really nice card but had to place it at a bad spot, and you didn't want to move a building because you either couldn't afford it or some other reason. You'd take the region, let's say a stone region with three resources on it, and swap it with a gold region which currently held two gold. You would only empty the mountains, and then do the swap without losing any from the other region. (We figured that would be too harsh.)

-------------------------------------------------
[4] An extra cost to start exploring the sea.|
-------------------------------------------------

We didn't like that you could immediately start your pirate life out on the salty seas without some preparation, so before anyone is allowed to build a ship, they have to pay the harbor lease equal to one road. Just remove the harbor until this cost has been paid, then place it as normal.

-------------------------------------------------------------
[5] For an easier game, play with two production dice.|
-------------------------------------------------------------

This one is for fast games where you don't have much time and just want to get into the real action. Use two dice, and select die you want to get resources from. Simple!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[6 - Experimental] Duel of the Princes variation, half-moon cards.|
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Largely untested and inspired by the Black Market card from Dominion.
Setup is as follows: You put all the half-moon cards which are usually removed from the game, into one pile, and put it next to other card stacks. By paying two gold you get to look at the top three cards of the stack, pick one, and rearrange the remaining cards back into the stack.

Not really recommended, but we thought it was funny.

==========================================================
==========================================================

Give me some feedback on what you think of these, and be sure to try them out sometime!

Please bear in mind that these are just for me and my groups personal entertainment, I'm not forcing any of these on you. If all you want to do is complain without any constructive arguments and suggestions, please, just keep it to yourself. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried the tournament game? You can find the rules here: http://www.catan.com/files/downloads/rfc-tournament_game.pdf

But also you friends need a copy of the game. It is much more sophisticated and it is fun to create decks.
You can also play it online on http://www.playcatan.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Myren
Norway
flag msg tools
Yes, we have tried it before. It is very fun.
I don't like playing online, it's so cold and impersonal, much better to play together with real people during weekends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course playing with real people is much more fun, but when there are no players available, online playing is a good alternative. I've played with many people around the world, and met some even afterwards in real life. But a good internet connection is necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Phebus
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey these are really cool, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.