Subject: need ideas for 3 year old nephew. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Monteforte
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean Candy Land is the most obvious choice, but is there anything out there that has you know... ANYTHING to do besides drawing cards, then moving? something with even a single choice to make would be great.

I saw another thread for 4 year olds, but all the games were from germany, and no way i could get them before christmas.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys and girls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 4 year old and I've tried hard to find games to play with him.

Some good games for a 3 year old:

Go Away Monster!
Richard Scarry's Busytown: Eye found it! Game (Co-operative game, which can be good for children who get really upset at losing.)
Animal Upon Animal (we have the "Balancing Bridge" version, but any of them are good.)
Formula D - our son's favourite game. Very easy for a young kid to play with the basic rules.

At 4, he's starting to be able to do pretty well at Labyrinth.

If you like RPGs, my son has also had fun with Hero Kids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Max might work, and you should be able to get a copy quick (and for cheap) through Amazon.

The components are very basic, but the game is quite good and offers a few choices while remaining very simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
My go to recommendation for preschool aged kids is Hisss.

Helps with taking turns, colors, and some very simple choices. You can keep score or work as a team (i.e. see if you can clear all the cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 3 year old loves to play Feed the Kitty. In fact we played last night, and he won!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
jurney85 wrote:
My 3 year old loves to play Feed the Kitty. In fact we played last night, and he won!

Seconded - This is basically a LCR retheme. No choices required, just do what the dice say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Sunshine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell
Netherlands
Zutphen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 3 year old plays kids of carcassonne. More of an activity than a game for her, but she loves it.
Also anything by Haba. Kiddy goodness in little boxes.
Wierdly Angry Birds: The Card Game works quite well too if her older sister plays. whisper it, but it's not a bad kids game

thanks for the other people suggesting things also, some more ideas for christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Monteforte
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to get him Monza which is a Haba game, then perhaps rhino hero, but nothing they sell will be here in time through amazon they really do seem like an impressive children's game company.

im looking a lot at Max but i don't know if his mother will like the idea of a cat eating other animals... her husband would be fine with it im sure though lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bianca G
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Come to the dark side - we have cookieees.
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 for Haba.
Rennraupe Rosalie is a big hit here. Also Maulwurf Würfel Puzzle , Koffer packen and Zoo Food works very well here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sawatzky
Canada
Randolph
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5 year old son and 3 year old daughter love The Magic Labyrinth. If you do get it, make sure you punch out the spacers to keep as walls, otherwise it may be a bit tricky for 4 year olds. Also, he is getting close to being able to play Escape: The Curse of the Temple. My son always pulls this one first! Rolling dice! Trying to escape! What's not to love?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Candy Land isn't that bad, you know. It's got a lot going for it.

1) Bright, fun board with tons to look at and talk about,

2) Spinner to whack at (in the newer edition),

3) Fun tokens to move around (either gingerbread men or different sweets in the new edition),

4) It's super easy to manipulate your own position (cheat at) so that you can keep the game close, end it early, make the kid cry by moving them way back to the start, etc.,

5) Lots of colours and ordinal concepts to talk about and practice (that's work seeping into play, sorry),

6) Can just be an activity with the pieces running around the board if the kid wants,

7) Cheaper than pretty much any non-Wal-Mart alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harding
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
merely a dingbat pushing little wooden bits around a game board
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that Magic Labyrinth has been mentioned. That would be my first choice. Keep the little rectangular pieces that get punched out of the board to use while your newphew is still little. Any time someone bumps into a wall, put down one of the tabs as a marker. Once he gets better at memory stuff, switch to playing the way it's meant to be played.

I also see that HABA has been mentioned a lot.

The only other thing that immediately comes to mind for that age group which I don't already see above is Chicken Cha Cha Cha. That one should be right in your nephew's wheelhouse. We got it for my daughter at age 5, and it's a little too easy for that age. But it should be perfect for 3. It's basically a Memory game, but more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't go wrong with Haba:

First Orchard - my 2y7m daughter loves it

Hoppe Reiter - she will get that for Christmas - 3+ roll and move game that brings more decisions that Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) ;]

Animal Upon Animal - she already played this with 5y and 3y brothers kids - they were great at it, she rather enjoyed building a farm with animals she got :]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ross Spurgeon
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David/USA

I have been purchasing numerous games for my daughter (will be 3 in January). The best of the bunch:

This company makes the highest quality components... animal/insects plastic characters (how do they make this affordable?) cardboard pieces-that I wish were in my 8+ age $50+ cost games.

Djeco:

Little Circuit
Little Memo
Little Cooperation

Each game teaches a single simplified gaming concept...

GameWright:

Skunk Bingo (fun to watch the animal tiles move through the log)

BlueOrange:

Zimbbos (my favorite game to play with my daughter)

(wooden character cutouts/painted, platforms) (stacking game)

I've been developing an Adult version of the rules - will introduce this game to my gaming group as a filler game.

Parker:

Jenga (stacked wood block game)(classic)

(working on a version where the blocks have different colors and values, some blocks have character heads attached - which will prevent the block from being pulled out both ways - various powers for the person who holds the 'magic' Jenga head piece, various game-end payouts for sets and combos of color blocks (big game change rules here)...

Jax:

Sequence for Kids (for kids - the other versions are for adults)
(non-memory, animal matching card/board game with two break the rules cards - seems to be the maximum for her age)

As far as ordering online - may be your only choice if there is no local shop... The German game culture is producing/selling kids games that play like adult games.... and occasionally make a game that is fun. Haba: We own a few of these - dry - still looking for a truly fun game. Components in these games are superior. Many games sold online are difficult to research (no answer in l minute) - that is, the information about the game is obscure, English instructions included ??? you might research for 10 minutes - then call the online warehouse - they disappear for some time - returning with a let me open this copy to find out - and this is only after you have established a monetary relationship - yes, this game is language independent - with rules in six languages).

Oh, I see I've been going on.... I am still amazed BGG doesn't have a dedicated section of the website - dedicated to ADULTS, but for kids - the biggest new market.... Seems like an organization that caters to the Industry in general would create a lobbing/educational think-tank to address this sorely missed opportunity......

Going on again.....

Disclaimer: I have limited access to many games (Distributors seem to hold the purse strings in the local store game selection) as well (Some Publishers pick up a product and then make it scarce/unknown - seems odd but I see some games from 'competitors' games are brought into the sales lineup only to be made unimportant.....FFG and Legends of Andor come to mind.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gordon
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
no realy this is blank
badge
HOBBES!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am excited that I found a copy of Monster Factory online at a reasonable price in canada. I think that it is an easy theme for my almost 3 year old and 4.5 year old. I hope that we can learn turn order and eventually move to points.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The games we have had the most success with at 2-3 years old are:

Go Away Monster! (sadly out of print)
Memory (Monster Chase and Chicken Cha Cha Cha are great Memory-style games with some added twists)
Orchard / First Orchard / some versions of Hi Ho! Cherry-O
Hisss
Max
Jake and the Never Land Pirates: Who Shook Hook?

I have been keeping a geeklist (that's sorely in need of an update) with our board game experiences that has more detail on what has worked and what hasn't.

One thing to keep in mind is that a typical 3-year-old will need an adult or a much older sibling to assist with playing the game. If there isn't anyone that can help them out, it may not matter which game you get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.